Cursor colour?

Hardware Hacking, Programming and Game Solutions/Cheats
Rink

Cursor colour?

Post by Rink »

I'm working on a bit of machine code (intended to run from a cartridge) which executes, does some stuff and then returns to BASIC.

I don't have the source code handy but basically, right now it runs, copies a string to the display, resets the text cursor position to the top left, clears the screen, and then jumps to $8003 (I think) to call the vector for starting BASIC. That all works fine - and the OK prompt pops right back up there - but weirdly, the text cursor changes to white.

I didn't even know that was possible. Anyone know where I can find the memory location responsible for this? - both for stopping for this from happening right now, and for future reference when it'd be a cool thing to do.

Cheers.
sixxie

Re: Cursor colour?

Post by sixxie »

You probably cleared it to $8F instead of $60 - they look the same, but to flash the cursor, BASIC EORs it with $40, so the result will be different. Try CLS1, CLS2, CLS3 etc. and watch the cursor colour change...
Rink

Re: Cursor colour?

Post by Rink »

Ah! Good call - that's exactly what I did. :D Thank you.

That's an interesting feature - tis great that those machines can still surprise you with new stuff. :)