Donut Dilemma by Nickolas Marentes

Use this forum to submit new files for the download section of the archive. I will check each submission and upload it to the archive on a regular basis.
zephyr

Donut Dilemma by Nickolas Marentes

Post by zephyr »

This is a copy of the awesome "Donut Dilemma" by Nickolas Marentes.
Description by L. Curtis Boyle.

Donut Dilemma is an original arcade game done by Nick Marentes of Australia. Loosely based on the donut factory at
which his father worked, Donut Dilemma is a fun, ten level game where one has try to get to the roof of the donut
manufacturing plant (after disabling the power to the plant on the tenth floor), starting on the first floor.
You face various obstacles, including bouncing donuts, moving platforms, falling sugar clumps, dissolving floors,
and others. Nick originally did this game on the Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I/III, but greatly enhanced the graphics
and sound for this version.

"Original Story Pretext" by Nickolas Marentes

"Angry Angelo has raided Antonio's Donut Factory sending the entire complex amuck! Donuts have come alive and are
jumping around in wild frenzies. Machines have gone out of control throwing cooking fat, dough and icing sugar
everywhere. You must help poor Antonio climb ladders, jump platforms and ride elevators to reach the top floor and
shut down the factory's power generator which will restore law and order."

"Game Development" by Nickolas Marentes

Following on from my desire to beat the color limitations of the CoCo, I devised a way of pulling more colors than
was normally available. I couldn't use the US artifacting trick so I began experimenting with the PMODE 3, 4 color
modes to see if I could fool the TV to display extra colors here under the PAL video system.

I discovered that by placing horizontally alternating lines of magenta and orange, the television output (the CoCo
1 and 2 only have a TV-RF output) would display red! Also, alternating horizontal bands of magenta and cyan would
create a light blue. I created Donut Dilemma to use this new capability giving the most colorful display I had seen
in a Color Computer game... six colors!
EDIT: Archive updated on the 15th June, at 5:01 pm. Made the following changes:

(1) Fixed a minor bug which prevented the game from detecting the Shift+@ and P keys on the Dragon.
(2) Changed the dough throwing key sequence to left/right arrow + D (The original didn't work correctly under emulation).
(3) Updated the Readme.txt file with a list of the keyboard controls.
(4) Added a copy of the original Donut Dilemma manual.
Attachments
Donut Dilemma (1986)(Nickolas Marentes)[!].zip
(261.18 KiB) Downloaded 202 times