"Pixie!"

Use this forum to submit new files for the download section of the archive. I will check each submission and upload it to the archive on a regular basis.
zephyr

Re: "Pixie!"

Post by zephyr »

snarkhunter wrote:Thanks, Steve! But this is raising a couple of extra issue...

The last lines in "PIXIE.SYS" use "ERL=18000" statements to make sure the error was actually inside the program. Line 18000 has become line 74 in your update: This would have to be corrected, too!

How is it possible to use disks in "64" mode?! Because all the loading/saving is done from/to disk. If the Dragon 64 only handles tapes, then there will be another I/O issue...

And it's nice to know it can actually be used with a joystick under emulation. Not that there are so many people who would be willing to, anyway... but it's still nice to know! :)
I'm making some more mods to the code. Will get back to you very soon...

Steve
Last edited by zephyr on Sun May 20, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

zephyr wrote:I'm making some more mods to the code. Will get back to you very soon...

Steve
... As many as you'll be willing to!

Actually, if I had been somewhat cleverer (and with some more time left, too), I would have used the power of a disk system to overcome the Dragon's limited memory. For instance, many more functions could have been added - or the existing ones could have been made more sophisticated - by loading "modules" from disk. And the drawing area could have been made as large as the whole screen (... or even bigger!), by making the toolbars disappear whenever needed. And an actual "Undo" function could have been added, too.

Well, I'm afraid it's a bit late to start thinking about this now!

As a matter of fact, there is a - very - limited "Undo" function available:

- Click on the "Scroll" icon, then do not move anymore
- Hit the <Fire> button: This will return you to "Edit" mode (with the whole picture saved)
- Resume working and make a slight mistake - or even a big one!
- Select the "Cancel" function (i.e. the icon with an exclamation mark): The previously saved content is now restored

This is indeed a one-step "Undo" feature!

... Or you may save the picture before experimenting with your funny changes!
Last edited by snarkhunter on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

snarkhunter wrote:How is it possible to use disks in "64" mode?! Because all the loading/saving is done from/to disk. If the Dragon 64 only handles tapes, then there will be another I/O issue...
It doesn't use "64 mode".
snarkhunter wrote:The last lines in "PIXIE.SYS" use "ERL=18000" statements to make sure the error was actually inside the program. Line 18000 has become line 74 in your update: This would have to be corrected, too!
Sorry, I missed that in my haste! :) I have made further modifications (USR0x) to make it compatible with both Dragon 32 and 64 machines. The modified code is attached.

Regards,
Steve
Attachments
PIXIE_for_D32_and_D64.zip
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

snarkhunter wrote:One final word of warning. Due to the tight (to say the least) memory available on a Dragon 32, I remember eventually facing some "?OM" issues after working with the software for a while. The Basic code was made as compact as possible, and stack allocation was tight, too. Yet 32 KB are still 32 KB, which is not that much whenever two graphic pages are needed by the software.
There's still a significant memory saving of 319 bytes after renumbering the modified BASIC code. Should help to prevent those "?OM " issues you were having problems with.
snarkhunter wrote:P.S. ... And maybe it's far too many words here for such a piece of crap!
Your program is far superior to some of the so-called games that have been published over the years. IMO, You were treated unfairly by Harris Micro Software. Thanks for sharing it with us all here at the forum.

Regards,
Steve
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

zephyr wrote:There's still a significant memory saving of 319 bytes after renumbering the modified BASIC code. Should help to prevent those "?OM " issues you were having problems with.
But 319 bytes is really big, stack-wise. So, yes, this could solve such an issue. Though, as previously stated, I only faced this memory error a couple of times. I remember setting all the arrays used by the program to the minimal size (and using mono-dimensional arrays only, even for those related to the GET/PUT function implementation ; I think that trick had also been published in some issue of "Dragon User" - and a most useful one it was), as you may have noticed.
zephyr wrote:Your program is far superior to some of the so-called games that have been published over the years. IMO, You were treated unfairly by Harris Micro Software. Thanks for sharing it with us all here at the forum.

Regards,
Steve
Well, thank you very much, Steve. It's really heart-warming to read such a comment, even (... or particularly) after such a long time.

Once again, this software had only begun as a personal project. I would never have considered it worthy of offering it to anyone else, if it had not been for my friends coaxing me into contacting some software publisher. As to Mr Harris not providing much help with the marketing, well, "Pixie!" was not his own work after all, and he already had quite a comprehensive range of "serious" software of his own to manage, so I can understand that he showed some interest in adding it to his range, but not that much.

As to sharing this with everyone here, well, I'm the one who actually gets the honour from doing so. Knowing that someone, somewhere, might actually use this, be it for a very few minutes, and find any interest in doing so, is much of a reward already...

Moreover, it was only intended as a simple tool designed to help people sketch out a few pictures on an overlooked machine - which I still owe so much to.

The reason why I did not take the time to clean up my archives and upload this much earlier is that I think the old forum was not so much active, personal software-wise. Here and now, I see some nice people who really demonstrate a genuine love for the Dragon computer - which I find immensely pleasant. I haven't turned my Dragon on in ages now, but I still have it, and I've been using "XRoar" quite regularly since we received that gift from Ciaran. Then getting help from a colleague to have my old 5.25" Dragon disks converted to ".vdk" files was the next step to keeping the fire alive.

... And that is a great thing - for sure!

But the funniest thing has to be the following: I was not (... never have been, never will be!) a great programmer. I remember my first steps with Dragon's Basic, in July 1983. And I also remember my first steps with 6809 m/c, a couple of years later (... Zaks & Labiaks: I will never be able to thank you enough for everything you did for me!). A self-taught programmer. Really involved, but far from brilliant! So designing, then writing, "Pixie!" was an actual challenge I tackled!

By the way, my next project was going to be a graphical adventure (I might still have a few rough sketches on another disk), but it sure would have been lacking on the GFX side! And I had a friend who was already far ahead of me with m/c programming, and who came up with no less than three adventure games within only a few months, so there was no actual point in trying to achieve any such thing myself, for I knew the result would have been much, much inferior to what he had done (you may check his two-part "Fernando Poo" adventure and also "The Jewel of Time" on my collection of disks).

... And now for something completely different...

<MODE VERBOSE OFF> :mrgreen:
Last edited by snarkhunter on Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Here is another Dragon 32/64 compatible version. This version loads (and EXECs) a small machine code routine from disk. The routine works by detecting the changes to the USR code in the D64 ROM, copies ROM to RAM, patches the ROM-in-RAM with the old D32 USR code, adds some extra code at $00F9-$00FF, and changes the reset jump address at $0072 to the start of that code. The routine will simply return to BASIC if the changes to the USR code are not detected.

This version now saves 358 bytes over the original D32 version.
Attachments
PIXIE_for_D32_and_D64_v2.zip
(8.47 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

sixxie wrote:oh yes, in case anyone else hits this, you also need to be using the DragonDOS 1.0 ROM to BOOT this!
I have patched the boot code to make it work with all currently available DragonDOS compatible ROMs (excluding DOSPlus 4.8 which fails to boot ANY DragonDOS bootable disk).
Attachments
PIXIE_for_D32_and_D64_v3.zip
(8.48 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Hi snarkhunter.

Just been playing with Pixie this morning, (XRoar + XBox controller), and I think what you've made, for it's time, is excellent! :D

I love the fact you also made the icons in Pixie. I've quite enjoyed myself just doodling. You should be very proud of Pixie.

I couldn't manage without PhotoShop these days but thanks for sharing and keep creating! :)
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Hello Bosco!

Thank you very much for the nice compliment. This really makes my day!
It feels a bit weird to see people showing some kind of appreciation for... this, after so many years. As previously explained here, I do not consider this worth much, actually. It was more a case of "Well, am I really able to make any such thing?". If I ever had had to do it all over again, I believe the result would have been quite different. But wondering about this does noe make much sense any longer now. It's 2014!

As far as "keeping creating", I'm afraid I've been out of the business for a very long time. Not that I ever considered myself a software designer/developer, actually. I was more a guy playing around with his home computer and sometimes getting to meaningful results.

I believe I found the inspiration for "Pixie!" in some magazine screenshots. I guess there were much more advanced programs available for the CoCo overseas. Why they never made it to the UK is still a puzzle. Maybe there was not big enough a market for this at the time. Remember: It was already 1986+ and the 16/32 Bit wave was just about to rise.

But it's still very pleasant to discover I've actually had a couple of users for this little thing!