The Ring of Darkness by Wintersoft

Use this forum to submit new files for the download section of the archive. I will check each submission and upload it to the archive on a regular basis.
robcfg

The Ring of Darkness by Wintersoft

Post by robcfg »

Here you have the full and tested (on XRoar and Real Dragon) dump of The Ring of Darkness.

I've attached two versions. The firs contains two .cas files, one for each side of the tape, and the second one contains 9 .cas files and 9 .wav files (that is, all parts separately).

The reason for this is that it's easier if you load the program to your Dragon via the sound card of your PC.

I also created the wiki page for the game, with scans and screenshots.

Have fun!
Attachments
Ring Of Darkness,The (1983)(Wintersoft)[!].zip
(24.64 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Ring Of Darkness,The (Separated files).zip
(189.97 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Ring of Darkness by Wintersoft

Post by admin »

Thanks for this and all the other contributions you have made..... This in particular brings back very fond memories - a fantastic game on the Dragon - limited only by the tape format (all that loading)...but the concept and execution were brilliant for its day.
Simon Hardy
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

You're welcome!

I didn't have a Dragon back in the day and I got my 64 by chance. Since then, I've discovered what a nice machine it is and lots of very interesting and original games.

I specially like "Back Track", I never get tired of the wonderful 3D effect of the walls :mrgreen:

Have a nice weekend!
Julian

Post by Julian »

Good though the game may have been it is more-or-less a simple rip-off of the original Ultima and chunks of Akalabeth (the predecessor to Ultima). It is of course a great game in its own right despite the derivative content. The real star of the show is that it was written in basic and still managed to contain so much. The later Wintersoft adventure games are so much more in all respects but for something written in the depths of the early 80s (1982 I think) it is a work of art. The fact that Akalabeth was written in Basic (the AppleSoft variant) as well may have some influence on how the game came to be but without some honest input from Mr Humphreys it is likely to remain a matter of guesswork (on my part)