DragonCoCo v1.0

Use this forum to submit new files for the download section of the archive. I will check each submission and upload it to the archive on a regular basis.
zephyr

DragonCoCo v1.0

Post by zephyr »

DragonCoCo v1.0 by Steve Woolham. Tandy CoCo emulation for the Dragon 64 or 64K upgraded Dragon 32.

Edit:
Save to audio cassette with CSAVEM"DGNCOCO",6400,31743,6400
Save to DragonDOS disk with SAVE"DGNCOCO.BIN",6400,31744,6400
Attachments
DragonCoCo10.zip
(89.05 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
KenH

Re: DragonCoCo v1.0

Post by KenH »

Cool, this is a Coco ROM for the dragon which has the keyboard mapping patched!
Is it possible to burn this on an EPROM to have the Dragon run as a Coco without keyboard rewiring?
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

The attached experimental ROM images were sent to me by Steve Woolham in 2009. The archive named dragoncoco64_ic17_ic18.zip contains ROM images for the Dragon 64's IC17 and IC18 which allow the machine to switch from Dragon 64 to CoCo 2 mode by entering EXEC at the command prompt. The archive named dragoncoco_main_rom.zip contains a ROM image for the Dragon 64's IC17 or the Dragon 32's IC17 and IC18 if you split the ROM image into two 8K files. They work perfectly under the latest XROAR snap-20120922, but have never been tested on real hardware. Batch files are included so you can try them under XROAR Dragon 32/64 emulation before burning to EPROM.

Regards,
Steve
Attachments
dragoncoco64_ic17_ic18.zip
(27.92 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
dragoncoco_main_rom.zip
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
KenH

Post by KenH »

Thanks. Looking good under MESS!
Before I test with a real Dragon, would it be possible to add the "Disable DOS or game cartridge at power-on" feature from Steve Woolham's enhanced Dragon ROMs to this ROM also?
The idea is to be able to turn on the Dragon with a Tandy Dos controller plugged in (but disabled), type EXEC and switch to Disk Extended Color Basic.
Right now, if I plug in the Tandy Dos cartridge, the Dragon would probably fail to power on in Dragon mode.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

KenH wrote: The idea is to be able to turn on the Dragon with a Tandy Dos controller plugged in (but disabled), type EXEC and switch to Disk Extended Color Basic.
That is exactly what would happen if you used the ROMs posted above. Auto-starting of DOS and game cartridges is now disabled by default in both Dragon 64 and CoCo mode. Simply enter DLOAD at the command prompt to start any DOS or game cartridge.
KenH

Post by KenH »

Perfect :D
I have replaced my Dragon 64's roms with these EPROMS. Seems to be working great both in Dragon and CoCo modes.
Successfully tested with LAFUMAT's disk controller in Dragon mode and with Tandy FD-502 disk controller in CoCo mode.
I think I'm going to keep these ROMS installed as my permanent Dragon roms.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hmmm, I shall try them!

It would be specially useful when making programs for Dragon and CoCo.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

KenH wrote:Perfect :D
I have replaced my Dragon 64's roms with these EPROMS. Seems to be working great both in Dragon and CoCo modes.
Successfully tested with LAFUMAT's disk controller in Dragon mode and with Tandy FD-502 disk controller in CoCo mode.
Ken, I'm glad to see that you are happy and making good use of them! 8-) I have always wanted to use alternative ROMs in my own Dragons, but am unsure as to which EPROM programmer to buy. Can you (or anyone else) please link to everything I would need (and a good source of compatible EPROM/EEPROM chips) on eBay which would be suitable for writing/erasing both Dragon 32 and Dragon 64 compatible EPROM/EEPROM chips.
KenH

Post by KenH »

zephyr wrote: I have always wanted to use alternative ROMs in my own Dragons, but am unsure as to which EPROM programmer to buy. Can you (or anyone else) please link to everything I would need (and a good source of compatible EPROM/EEPROM chips) on eBay which would be suitable for writing/erasing both Dragon 32 and Dragon 64 compatible EPROM/EEPROM chips.
Steve, I've created a new post with my eprom programming shopping list. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=778
Though, if all you need is a couple of EPROMS burned I'll gladly do it for you!
Ken
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

KenH wrote:Perfect :D
Do you have a Hitachi HD63C09E processor installed in your Tano Dragon 64?