Q*Bert (Dragon User Jan 1985)

Use this forum to submit new files for the download section of the archive. I will check each submission and upload it to the archive on a regular basis.
sixxie

Q*Bert (Dragon User Jan 1985)

Post by sixxie »

Another one I remember my mum typing in. Never found a tape of it, but for some reason today I decided to type it in again...

Surprisingly ok for a BASIC game! Horribly tempted to "fix" the slo-mo POKEs as they're a bit unsafe, but in the end kept it as printed.

..ciaran
Attachments
Q-Bert (1984)(Philip Thompson).zip
Q*Bert but without the asterisk!
(10.72 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Last edited by sixxie on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alastair

Re: Q*Bert (Dragon User Jan 1985)

Post by Alastair »

sixxie wrote:phpBB didn't like the asterisk originally in this filename
Ciaran, you should upload a zip where the file names within do not contain asterisks because Windows (and a few other operating systems) cannot cope with file names containing asterisks.

That said, the Windows version of 7-Zip will convert the asterisks to underscores when extracting the files.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Alastair wrote: Ciaran, you should upload a zip where the file names within do not contain asterisks because Windows (and a few other operating systems) cannot cope with file names containing asterisks.
Wow, really? I never knew that. I thought the only ones to really avoid were slash, backslash, dot and dollar (those last two for ADFS :) ).

Ok edited the original post anyway - cheers for letting me know.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

sixxie wrote:I never knew that.
Are you kidding me? I assumed it was pretty common knowledge. Anyway, for possible future reference Windows file names cannot contain any of the following:
\ / : * ? " < > |
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Alastair wrote: \ / : * ? " < > |
Ok now you're just quoting the game!

But seriously - I've not used a DOS-esque as my own desktop since 6.22 (or somesuch), where the 8.3 rule still held. Somehow it just never came up...

In Unix you can have anything but the directory separator ("/"), though we like to avoid spaces, and I guess globbing characters ("*", "?") might make poorly-written scripts do amusing things.