DragonDOS 5.0

Use this forum to submit new files for the download section of the archive. I will check each submission and upload it to the archive on a regular basis.
zephyr

DragonDOS 5.0

Post by zephyr »

The attached version of DragonDOS (v5.0) was a work in progress project by Steve Woolham. He recently had problems with a hard drive failing and lost all of the source code and notes. Because he last worked on the project back in October 2010 and the source code and notes are now lost, he has decided to abandon the project. The attached ROM images are all that he had left stored in his XROAR folder.

He has has asked me to upload to the archive for anyone that would like to try it. Please treat it as a beta until testing confirms that its OK.

The following files are in the zip archive:

ddos50.rom ---- DragonDOS 5.0 for Dragon 32/64 and dragonDOS controller.

rsdos10c.rom -- DragonDOS 5.0 (RSDOS 1.0) for CoCo and the CoCo controller.

rsdos10d.rom -- DragonDOS 5.0 (RSDOS 1.0) for CoCo and the DragonDOS controller.
Attachments
DragonDOS_5-0.zip
DragonDOS 5.0
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
pser1

Re: DragonDOS 5.0

Post by pser1 »

Hi Steve,
I have downloaded this zip.
The first binary comparison with the current DOSPlus50, in the thread shown below, shows many changes.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4779&p=13534&hilit=DOSPlus#p13534

Is there any documented information about what Stephen had changed or added?

thanks in advance
pere
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

pser1 wrote: Is there any documented information about what Stephen had changed or added?
No.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

alright
by the way, in some moment the DOSPlus4.9b was modified to give it a better DIR command ...
and now appears another one with the same name. Wouldn't it be safer to have different names
for those two ROMS?

cheers
pere
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

pser1 wrote:alright
by the way, in some moment the DOSPlus4.9b was modified to give it a better DIR command ...
and now appears another one with the same name. Wouldn't it be safer to have different names
for those two ROMS?
Where is the new one with the same name? Do you mean DragonDOS 5.0?

The attached version is not DOSPlus 5.0, its DragonDOS 5.0. Completely different name. :)
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I had a script for disassembling DragonDOS 1.0 which wasn't too much work to adapt to the DragonDOS 5.0 ROM you provided - it's not much, but maybe the differences between the two could be of use?

http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/da/ddos/
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Thanks Ciaran! 8-)
pser1

Post by pser1 »

zephyr wrote:
pser1 wrote:alright
for those two ROMS?
Where is the new one with the same name? Do you mean DragonDOS 5.0?

The attached version is not DOSPlus 5.0, its DragonDOS 5.0. Completely different name. :)
Sorry, Steve
I read the number without paying much attention to the name ... so I confused it with the DosPlus.
So just forget about my previous post.

cheers
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi,
as lately it has been asked what DOS should / could be used on a Dragon disk controller
with a CoCo2, I have tried the rsdos10 files that come with this version 5.0 on XRoar.
Using the rsdos10c.rom and rsdos type cartridge it works alright
But when using rsdos10d.rom and dragondos cartridge it hangs ... I must be doing something wrong
If anyone could try this out and give me any advice it would be very wellcome!
Thanks in advance

cheers
pere

This is the script that fails, for me

Code: Select all

cd..
copy ..\XRoar\DOS-ROMs\rsdos10d.rom disk11.rom
copy ..\XRoar\ROMs\bas14.rom bas14.rom
copy ..\XRoar\ROMs\extbas11.rom extbas11.rom
xroar -machine cocous -bas bas14.rom -extbas extbas11.rom -machine-cart dragondos -cart-rom disk11.rom -ram 64 -force-crc-match -disk-write-back -kbd-translate  
This version for CoCo controller works flawlessly

Code: Select all

cd..
copy ..\XRoar\DOS-ROMs\rsdos10c.rom disk11.rom
copy ..\XRoar\ROMs\bas14.rom bas14.rom
copy ..\XRoar\ROMs\extbas11.rom extbas11.rom
xroar -machine cocous -bas bas14.rom -extbas extbas11.rom -machine-cart rsdos -cart-rom disk11.rom -ram 64 -force-crc-match -disk-write-back -kbd-translate 
prime

Post by prime »

zephyr wrote:The attached version of DragonDOS (v5.0) was a work in progress project by Steve Woolham. He recently had problems with a hard drive failing and lost all of the source code and notes.
Evey time I hear this (or something like it), I kinda think, this is a lesson we should have learned back in the 80s BACK YOUR DATA UP It's trivially easy these days what with USB pens / hard disks / optical drives etc there is *NO* excuse.

On my home system I have a cygwin script that backs up my important dirs to my backup server, but for my mother it goes to an external hard disk, that way it's always on at least two media at once.

Cheers.

Phill.