Astrology by Dragon Data

Use this forum to submit new files for the download section of the archive. I will check each submission and upload it to the archive on a regular basis.
daelectron

Astrology by Dragon Data

Post by daelectron »

I managed to pick this up recently and have managed to create a working WAV file from it.

Could someone convert it to CAS and add it to your archives please?

You can probably get a much smaller WAV file than this too:

http:/www.acornelectron.co.uk/Astrology.zip

Astrology
=========

Introduction
------------
Welcome to Astrology. This program is definitely intended for the serious user. It will
give you accuracy to two minutes of arc or better, allow you to choose from Tropical
or Sideral zodiacs, Geocentric or Heliocentric charts and five different house systems
- Placidus, Koch, Campanus, Equal and Regiomontanus. You can specify the orb for
aspects, find any harmonic and output the complete natal horoscope listing to the
screen or printer.

Using The Program
-----------------
After the program is run, there will be a short delay while the program sets up. You
will then be asked a series of questions concerning the person for whom the horoscope
is being cast. You will be asked for the name, the month of birth, the day of the
month, the year, the time and the latitude and longitude.

Input Format
------------
In some cases, you will see the format of your entry in parentheses following the
question. For example, following the longitude question you will see (DDD.MM). This
means that you are to input three digits for degrees and two digits for minutes
with a decimal point (period) between them - like this - 081.50 -. Be sure to
enter the items in the indicated format or the program will not work correctly.

Latitude and longitude can be found in an encyclopaedia or on a road map. Great
Britain is west longitude and north latitude.

Tropical or Sideral Zodiac
--------------------------
The program will then ask whether you want a Tropical or Sideral zodiac. If you don't
know, then you want Tropical. You will also be asked whether you want a Geocentric or
Heliocentric chart. Again, if you don't know, you want Geocentric.

If you have a printer connected and want the output to go to the printer instead of
the screen, answer with a Y when asked about the printer.

The first thing printed will be a summary of the birth information. This will include
the day of the week that day fell on. If any of this is wrong you made a mistake in
entry, so just press BREAK and RUN the program again.

Planet Positions
----------------
When you go on, the planet positions will be printed. The format of these is the name
of the planet, followed by a number indicating degrees, followed by the abbreviation
of the sign, followed by the number indicating minutes. It will look like this:

SUN .......... 15SC022

Of course, the actual numbers will be different. The first three letters of the sign
name are used as an abbreviation.

House System
------------
The next thing you will be asked is what house system you want used in calculating the
house cusps. You have five choices, and Koch, Equal and Placidus are probably most
popular. By the way, the first house cusp shown is also the ascendent or "rising sign".

Aspects Orb
-----------
You will next be asked for an "Orb" for the aspects. The aspects are relationships
between planets that have significance. For example, if two players are 90 degrees
apart, this is called a square, and is used in interpretation. The planets don't have
to be exactly 90 degrees apart, as long as they are close. Exactly how close is a
matter for debate, and it is this allowed variance from the exact angle that is the
orb. If you don't what what to use, a value of 5, 6 or 7 will do fine. The program
will search for and display six different aspects.

Harmonics
---------
The next section, harmonics, is used by advanced students only. If you want - as an
example - the 11th harmonic you would enter an 11 and if any planets have that aspect
to each other they will show on the ensuing list as though they were a conjunction.
As we said, if you are confused about harmonics, just forget them until later.

Varying House System/Harmonic
-----------------------------
The program will allow you to do more than one house system and more than one
harmonic without re-entering the birth information, and you can do several horoscopes
just by entering a Y when asked if you want to do another.

Natal Horoscope
---------------
The list of numbers generated by this program is the natal horoscope. The interpretation
of this horoscope is another matter entirely! There have been libraries written on the
subject, and any short treatment we would give it here would do more harm than good.
For that reason we suggest that you get a good book on interpreting a horoscope and
read it. Any bookstore should have several good titles on astrology.

Astrology Accuracy
------------------
The calculations performed by this program in a few minutes would take an experienced
person a couple of hours to duplicate. Also, this program is as accurate as it can be
made without using a mainframe computer. You will find an accuracy of 1 or 2 minutes
of arc, which is usually a better overall average than produced by manual calculation,
especially considering the possibility of human error.

The great accuracy of this program is made possible by the use of certain "neely
values" and "planetary routines" which are copyrighted by Matrix Software.

-------
CLOAD (ENTER)
RUN (ENTER)
Attachments
Tape Scan
Tape Scan
Astrology_000.jpg (623.68 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Front Cover
Front Cover
Astrology_000.jpg (269.03 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
robcfg

Re: Astrology by Dragon Data

Post by robcfg »

Here you have it.

I have uploaded it to the downloads section.

One thing I don't get about your way of doing things, is that you don't scan the full jacket but you take the time to copy the instructions to a text file.

Also, as you sell the games once you have processed them, there's no way to redump it in case it's not ok, like it happened with Mines of Sirus, which was recorded at an excessive volume level and the audio track included is severely distorted, making it unusable for archiving it.

I agree that we move much slower than you, but our quality is also better.
Attachments
Astrology (1984)(Dragon Data)[!].zip
(7.56 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
daelectron

Post by daelectron »

I seem to have got into the habit of:

I take a scan of the full jacket, and all of the inlays, etc. Then I donate the WAV file to you guys and also upload my scans of the cover art and the tape. I think it seems to work quite well as you then have the information for your archives which are free, and you can make the CAS file.

The Death Mines Of Sirius thing was your own WAV file that didn't work if I remember correctly. So you asked me if I had a better version and so I sent you the version I recorded myself. There's no reason why that version would meet any particular standard because you already had a working CAS version in the archive so I didn't think to even contribute one to you at the time.

In fact, I don't really have much interest in WAV files at all, only in having a CAS version that works in emulator format. (WAV is just a necessarily evil to me.)
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I don't want to argue with you, but you don't upload the full jackets, and regarding Death Mines of Sirus, I have no copy of it so I asked you if you could record it again at a lower volume level so the audio track could be recovered, that's it.