DragonCoCo

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
prime

Re: DragonCoCo

Post by prime »

drag0n wrote:Wow, great accomplishment!
Can't wait to see the details and give it a try.
Bringing the Drivewire platform to the Dragon opens so many possibilities - flexible storage, virtual printing , MIDI and even telnet.
Phill, since you have previously ported SuperDos to the CoCo, do you think you can do the opposite now - port HDB-DOS for drivewire over to the Dragon?
This seems like the major next challenge ;)
Does the source for HDB dos exist ? that might be possible, though what I'd possibly be more interested in is dropping the bit banger driver from HDB into Superdos or Dragondos, as this might be more compatible (from the Dragon's POV) with existing Dragon disks...as the disk format is diffferent.

Of course should be entirely possible to have a source file that will assemble on either platform CoCo or Dragon just using conditional assembly, as the SuperDos source does.

Cheers.

Phill.
drag0n

Post by drag0n »

The source for HDB-DOS is now part of the toolshed mercurial repository.
http://toolshed.hg.sourceforge.net/hgwe ... hdbdos.asm
prime wrote:
Does the source for HDB dos exist ? that might be possible, though what I'd possibly be more interested in is dropping the bit banger driver from HDB into Superdos or Dragondos, as this might be more compatible (from the Dragon's POV) with existing Dragon disks...as the disk format is diffferent.

Of course should be entirely possible to have a source file that will assemble on either platform CoCo or Dragon just using conditional assembly, as the SuperDos source does.

Cheers.

Phill.
prime

Post by prime »

drag0n wrote:The source for HDB-DOS is now part of the toolshed mercurial repository.
http://toolshed.hg.sourceforge.net/hgwe ... hdbdos.asm
Ahh excellent,I knew it had permission to be distributed now, didn't realise it had been open sourced, might take a look at that then.

Having a think I may be able to reduce the converter to a MAX202 and a transistor (as an inverter), will have a play.

And as I managed to get the current setup to boot NitrOS9 over drivewire I'd say that it's working.

Cheers.

Phill.
drag0n

Post by drag0n »

prime wrote: Ahh excellent,I knew it had permission to be distributed now, didn't realise it had been open sourced, might take a look at that then.
Please do!
prime wrote: Having a think I may be able to reduce the converter to a MAX202 and a transistor (as an inverter), will have a play.
Couldn't the inverter be implemented through software change at the Drivewire server? Aaron Wolfe (current developer of Drivewire) has expressed his interest to support the Dragon. If the inversion can be done by software I'm sure he would be glad to help.
https://sites.google.com/site/drivewire ... helpwanted
prime wrote: And as I managed to get the current setup to boot NitrOS9 over drivewire I'd say that it's working.
:D :D :D
KenH

Post by KenH »

I can confirm that the modified CoCo roms are good also for the Dragon Tano!

I replaced my Dragon Tano ROM with an EPROM containing prime's ROMS and my Dragon cheerfully powered up as an Extended Color Basic CoCo.
Of course the keyboard is all garbled since I didn't do the keyboard rewiring.

I'd be more interested in running Drivewire on the Tano Dragon using its native rom though...
Looking forward to more updates on the parallel port to bit-banger conversion and HDBDOS patches to run on the Dragon.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

prime wrote: This involves two circuits, one is a 27256 (or bigger) that replaces IC18, and has the normal Dragon rom in the lower 16K and a slightly modified** CoCo 2 rom in the upper 16K, A14 is connected to a switch so that you can select between them.
(1) Is there any particular reason for putting the Dragon ROM in the lower 16K?

(2) Did you isolate A14 from the PCB?

(3) Which 16K bank is selected when A14 is connected to Vss?
prime

Post by prime »

zephyr wrote:
prime wrote: This involves two circuits, one is a 27256 (or bigger) that replaces IC18, and has the normal Dragon rom in the lower 16K and a slightly modified** CoCo 2 rom in the upper 16K, A14 is connected to a switch so that you can select between them.
(1) Is there any particular reason for putting the Dragon ROM in the lower 16K?
Yep, with the keyboard switcher circuit I used. So that I could use the same signal to switch both the keyboard & ROM without having to invert it.
(2) Did you isolate A14 from the PCB?
A14 on the ROM just goes to the switch (and the keyboard input), so not the same as A14 on the rest of the system.
(3) Which 16K bank is selected when A14 is connected to Vss?
The lower bank :)

Cheers.

Phill.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Thanks, Phill! :)