Raspberry Pi...

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

Raspberry Pi...

Post by sixxie »

... is fast enough to run XRoar full speed (at least the current master in the git repo). Just tested quickly (FSVO) on the recently released Raspbian image, but some caveats:

Needs to run using SDL (-vo sdl), using console, modifying sdl/vo_sdl.c to use SDL_SWSURFACE instead of SDL_HWSURFACE. Doesn't scale full screen (it's picking the closest video mode, can't quite get down to 320x240!).

Crashes after a while - not sure why!

Takes *ages* to close the audio device when quitting - again, not sure why!

Anyway, point proved, it's fast enough, just about...
Alastair

Re: Raspberry Pi...

Post by Alastair »

sixxie wrote:Crashes after a while - not sure why!

Takes *ages* to close the audio device when quitting - again, not sure why!
Do you think the two are related? What happens when you run XRoar with sound disabled?
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Unrelated, I think. Further testing shows the emulator locks up after 300s, which is almost exactly (2^32)/14318180 - the wrapping of the internal ticks counter is not being handled properly.

The code depends on (int)((unsigned) - (unsigned)) doing the right thing, which may not be the case here - fun :)
Julian

Post by Julian »

This is good to know - it is one of the things I've been trying to get around to...

I still think a RPi boxed up inside a retro (D32/64) case would be pretty cool, even better now I know it is man enough for the job
Julian

Post by Julian »

As a strange twist of fate and concidence

A small home computer, developed in Cambridge, is now being built in south wales...

Sound familiar?

Construction of the Raspberry Pi has been moved to the Sony assembly plant in Pencoed - about 10 miles(ish) from the old Kenfig plant.

I just hope it doesn't all go the same way - but I think the R.Pi has already sold more units that the Dragon ever did.
Rink

Post by Rink »

i love the retro scene - people who probably own three of an old machine buy something new and the first thing they do with it... is run an emulator of the old machine they have three of. :D

(Not taking the piss here btw)
Julian

Post by Julian »

I've been reading through the latest round of tutorials for the R.Pi on the subject of cold booting your own operating system - in short (from my perspective) how to make a thoroughly new piece of hardware behave even more like a classic.

Because the R.Pi has no onboard nv memory you can boot it into being pretty much anything you want - including running a D32/64/coco emulator from cold - it really is just too tempting...
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I've been poking about and using some of the various bits of example code, got XRoar running full speed, full screen with sound... Just no keyboard yet! But USB joysticks work...

If you check out the "rasppi" branch of the git repos and configure with --enable-rasppi, you should be able to try it out - note, you have to have built all the stuff in /opt/vc/src/hello_pi first!

..ciaran

Edit: now with keyboard (so long as it's a fairly standard type and you don't need translation!)