Interesting Tandy MC10 link with software

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
zephyr

Re: Interesting Tandy MC10 link with software

Post by zephyr »

Here is a little more information about the 16-bit timer (counter) from the official MC6803 data sheet (attached below).
COUNTER ($09:0A)

The key timer element is a 16-bit free-running counter which is incremented by E (enable). It is cleared during reset
and is read-only with one exception: a write to the counter {$09} will preset it to $FFF8. This feature, intended for
testing, can disturb serial operations because the counter provides the SCI internal bit rate clock. TOF is set whenever
the counter contains all ones.
Attachments
mc6801_3.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Just discovered another MC10 emulator.
http://alice32.free.fr/

Is this any better than Virtual MC10?
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

I have just converted a few more games for the Dragon 32/64 but I need to know who is the author of KLONDIKE and SKYSCAPE (and the year they were first released) before uploading them.
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

Skyscape was published in Compute! magazine November 1985 and the author was Robert M. Simons.

I have no clue where Klondike came from. The original source code was probably typed in by me back in the 1980s.
zephyr wrote:I have just converted a few more games for the Dragon 32/64 but I need to know who is the author of KLONDIKE and SKYSCAPE (and the year they were first released) before uploading them.
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

I seem to remember Klondike being scavenged from a PC listing (GWBasic), but it could have been from almost anywhere. Most of my ports are from basic code scavenged over the last 20 or so years ranging from old PDP systems to Atari magazines. All the card graphics and screen stuff is mine though.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Thanks Jim! :) OK, I uploaded three of the games you recommended, and I'm willing to convert more if anyone asks.

BTW, You seem to have missed my post about the emulator.

Regards,
Steve
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

I tried this emulator, but it is set up for the French AZERTY keyboard. This can be re-mapped, but this did not seem worth my while since James the Animal Tamer's emulators work pretty well. I especially like their ability to load ASCII listings of basic programs directly into the emulator using the "quicktype" function. This means I can easily edit the basic source in MS Wordpad, flip to the emulator and load the source in a second and run it, and then flip back to the source to make any needed changes, and so on. It's like working in the old Quick Basic/Borland Turbo Basic environments. It's perfect for basic programming work b/c there's no CSAVEing, CLOADing, LISTing involved and you can avoid the crippled editing capacities of the original MC-10 (there's no "Edit" command--you must re-type to correct a line).

That being said, I participate in several French forums for the Alice, and have converted a few programs to work with the AZERTY keyboard layout--my Sokoban, for example, and my Loderunner I think...
Jim
zephyr wrote:Just discovered another MC10 emulator.
http://alice32.free.fr/

Is this any better than Virtual MC10?
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

Here's a link to the Alice forum I mentioned:

http://forum.system-cfg.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3589

By the by, I'm currently working on converting a listing from an old Aussie TRS-80 Model 1 mag ("80-Micro") for a text adventure called "Doctor Who."
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

Just created a new game for the MC-10, which would be easily converted to the Dragon. It's for a basic programming contest. See: http://rsp.retrocomputacion.com/?lang=en
It's called "Penguino."