Please don't shoot me for asking this age old question

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Cloete

Please don't shoot me for asking this age old question

Post by Cloete »

Hi, will some please give me a summary of rules, do's & don't's when it comes to SAVING a Basic program using Audacity? (I also use Wavosaur).
My problem is the volume droppes after the first 3 seconds. Result = IO Error = must then record to tape = lots of tapes = chaos = going insane.
Should the volume reflect in the recording as sold block? How do I get it to record one solid volume throughout? (Should I edit the volume after the initial recording, or tinker with the settings prior to recording, or pray during recording, throw salt over my left shoulder, flip a coin or use paper-scissor-rock?)
I really need to break off the relationship I have with my tape recorder. Please help me do it.
Cheers, Cloete
zephyr

Re: Please don't shoot me for asking this age old question

Post by zephyr »

A few quick questions:

(1) Which emulator are you using to write your BASIC programs?

(2) What are you using to convert your BASIC .cas files to .wav?

(3) Are you saving them normally or in ASCII (,A) format?

(4) Does your cassette recorder use Automatic Gain Control?
Cloete

Post by Cloete »

1. I am using a real Dragon 32K.
2. I am saving (CSAVE) my Basic programs to tape the same way as 30 years ago. When loading from tape, I use CLOAD. Loading programs from tape that were saved directly from the Dragon have never been a problem.
3. I am saving normally.
4. My Sansui tapeplayer does have a microphone level knob - which I keep at a fixed position because the loading of Dragon-saved-programs is no problem.
I need to add the following info: I have tried to convert the Dragon-saved-Basic programs from tape to .wav by playing the tape and recording from Audacity / or Wavosaur. This procedure does not work - just like saving from the Dragon directly into Audacity / Wavosaur also does not work 99% of the times. I have had some luck by recording 3 programs directly from my Dragon into Wavosaur (Battleships / Earthquake / Attanck) but about 60 other normal short Basic recordings (Dragon to Wavosaur / or Dragon to Audacity) with no speed poke delivers IO Errors about 3secs from the start. If you zoom into the IO Error area the wave pattern goes up/down/up/down/down/and then again the normal up/down sequence. A microscopic "split" of about 0.003s shows - but the wave line / sound line is not broken. The initial loading bleep / header / block / you know what I mean / shows nice, hard and solid wave lines...and then drops like a slide. And then the error is right there - during the drop of volume. The volume drops from /+ 12 to +- 3 . I have done A volume boost to 15, then truncate at 0 (this is how the Battleships was saved), but it doesn't work on any other programs.
MY MAIN IO ERROR OCCURS WITHING 3-5secs since "F" occurs onthe screen. And it is always where the little split shows when you zoom.
What I am aiming for is: If you look at the .wav graphs four-part program of the OASIS Sprint. All of the four programs shows nicely FULL VOLUME RECORDED lines. How do I record my own Basic stuff this? I have turned up the volume on my Sansui, but then the laptop that's running the wave recorder program gets crancky and no sound enters the wav program.
Thanks for listening / reading and trying to help.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Try the following when saving your BASIC programs:

(1) POKE144,2:MOTOR ON
(2) Type in SOUND1,20:CSAVE"PROGNAME" (don't press ENTER)
(3) Press PLAY+RECORD on your cassette recorder
(4) Press ENTER

This will give the cassette recorder time to get up to speed and allow the AGC (assuming your cassette recorder uses one) to settle down before the actual program is recorded to tape.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I think that this may be a Windows problem with Windows applying automatic gain to the microphone input [1]. Cloete, I do not know what version of Windows that you are using so I will describe the procedure for XP, you may need to adjust this procedure should you be using something other than XP.

1. Open "Volume Control" (either by double-clicking the volume icon in the task tray, or by opening the "Control Panel" > "Sounds and Audio Devices" and clicking on the "Advanced" button in the "Device Volume" box).
2. Click on "Options" on the menu bar and make sure that there is a tick beside "Advanced Controls".
3. Click on the "Advanced" button beneath the microphone controls.
4. Remove any tick beside "Microphone Boost".
5. Close all of the control panels.

[1] If your computer has AUX or Line-In input (my laptop does not which is why this has occurred to me just seconds before I posted this reply :) ) then you should use AUX or Line-In instead of microphone input. Again Windows may apply automatic gain to this input, "Volume Control" should allow you to check.
Cloete

Post by Cloete »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks for everyone's help !
I can now save directly to .wav
and
load directly from .wav
What an improvement! (My wife still recons I'm crazy) :D :) :lol: :D :) :lol: :D :) :lol: