Image needed of a DATA RECORDER

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Cloete

Image needed of a DATA RECORDER

Post by Cloete »

Hi all,
I am going to place an advertisement in my local South African community for a Data Recorder.
For that I need an image - can someone tell where I can find it?
I need to get a tape player/Data Recorder that can be stopped and started by the Dragon (my Sprint Compiler is not a happy compiler without stopping at the right spots - and I really want to see the Sprint's results! :x ).
On the other hand, if any you have a working one, live in London and want to get rid of it, my sister will pick it up from you and fly it to me end of July.
Regards, Cloete
Sarah

Re: Image needed of a DATA RECORDER

Post by Sarah »

I used this one from WHSMITH (long since discontinued but popular at the time); it works well with the Dragon!

The packaging looks like this:
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2373/dsc08446s.jpg

PS. You can avoid the problems with SPRINT by using longer leaders between the blocks of ASCII BASIC. The supplementary user instruction booklet describes how to do this (e.g. use POKE 144,2 before you CSAVE).
Cloete

Post by Cloete »

Hi Sarah, thank you for the image - I will use it.
I did use the POKE144,2 before CSAVE, also renum, also CSAVE"xx",A ...but my problem is during loading - there is a part where Sprint basic loads - then the tape player must stop - I need to swop cassettes - out with Sprint - in with my own tape - load my tape with my code - (I take it that the tape player will then also stop) - anyhow, the screen prompts OK and then I put back the Sprint tape to continue loading where the Sprint tape had stopped. The loading "header" of this continuation part is too close to the first loading part. My tape keeps running past the end of the "tape". I have tried "pause" with the media player, but this kite doesn't want to fly.Basically, the Dragon and the loading isn't synchronised at that point. Meanwhile I will search for a data recorder on this side of mother earth. Thank you for your assistance.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I think the easiest way around that would be to save a copy of the LINKER onto a different cassette, then you won't need to be careful when you stop, eject and later replace the SPRINT tape. Instead, you could simply insert the second cassette when needed. The split archive on this site could assist you in recording the second cassette.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Hi Cloete,

I have just uploaded a copy of Sprint v1.2 which I have split into four separate parts. You can use them to make a real audio cassette copy with sensible gaps between each part.

Regards,
Steve
Last edited by zephyr on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloete

Post by Cloete »

Thanks Steve and Sarah - I will give it a go!
Cloete

Post by Cloete »

Hi Steve,
My Sprint compiler now loads almost everything, except the second part of the LINKER program.
If you look at the Basic program that loads first in SPRINT: from line 18:
18 CLOADM"LINKER":EXEC
19 IF PEEK(27744)=0 THEN 23

20 GOSUB 38
21 PRINT@292,"ERROR IN LINKING PROGRAM";
22 GOSUB 43:CLS:END
23 AUDIO ON: CLOADM"can't remember the name of the second part of linker"

I get an I/O ERROR ON 23 if I load this second part of LINKER using your PART 4 sound bit (I noticed its recorded somewhere in 9000Hz, normally we work with 41000Hz in Wave, wonder if this makes a difference?) I have tried loading PART 4 through the media player, as well as shooting it through my Wav app. No luck
Loading the second part of LINKER using your complete SPRINT COMPILER sound track, doesn't result in anything. The screen still shows "F" after the end of the file was loaded.

I hope you have one final last trick up your sleeve to help me with this 2nd part of LINKER?
Regards,
Cloete
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

All four parts load OK here. Try using Audacity 1.2.6 to play back the .wav files.

Download from FileHippo (Windows)

Download from Sourceforge

Regards,
Steve
Cloete

Post by Cloete »

Thanks Steve & Sarah - my Sprint went from :x to :| to :) and hopefully during the upcoming weekend will get me to :D
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

I'm sure you can do much better than some of the current Sprint compiled titles (3D-OXO, Barmy Burgers, Kung-Fu - The Master, etc).