Screenshots editing

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
snarkhunter

Screenshots editing

Post by snarkhunter »

... How does one turn such pictures into "perfect" 640x480 ".png" files, please?

I tried as hard as I could (using the standard "Paint" tool), and I never made it to the expected resolution: I was always 1-2 pixels off the expected size (either way). And using Paint's "Zoom" function does not help much since it won't allow one to select the whole content of the picture - only the part that is currently being displayed.
Attachments
Pixie_1Loading.png
Pixie_1Loading.png (16.46 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Pixie_2Credits.png
Pixie_2Credits.png (17.08 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Pixie_3Main.png
Pixie_3Main.png (20.06 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Julian

Re: Screenshots editing

Post by Julian »

How are you grabbing the pictures in the first place?

Have you tried things like alt+prtscr instead of just prtscr? This will give you just the window rather than the whole desktop but you'll notice this isn't 640x480 anyway, you'll need to resize it or crop it.

Personally I prefer using slightly more detailed packages for editing - you can get GIMP for free for example.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I use alt+ptrscrn and then I crop it in gimp using a 640x480 selection at x=8,y=30.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Thanks to all of you for the tips and suggestions...

I usually grab the raw picture using <Shift> + <PrtScr> from the active "XRoar" window. Then I paste it to "MS Paint" and try to select/cut the Dragon screen area from there. But accurately positioning the cursor proves way too messy: It's always 1-2 pixels wrong on both axes, no matter how hard I try to be accurate.

I also have "IrfanView" installed, but I cannot remember finding it any more useful than "Paint" regarding this issue.

I once had "Gimp" installed but, not being very good at drawing, I did not feel like keeping it. And I never found it very intuitive either (I might just re-install and upgrade the release I have, though...). I kind of miss such old pieces of software as the "Deluxe Paint" series on the Amiga, back in the late 80's...
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

snarkhunter wrote:I also have "IrfanView" installed, but I cannot remember finding it any more useful than "Paint" regarding this issue.
In IrfanView, press C to open the capture window. Select option 4 - Capture window client area. No manual editing required, only resizing if you feel like it. Can't be simpler.

-- Rolf
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

rolfmichelsen wrote:In IrfanView, press C to open the capture window. Select option 4 - Capture window client area. No manual editing required, only resizing if you feel like it. Can't be simpler.
I never knew you could do that in IrfanView. I always used the Alt+PrintScreen, switch to IrfanView, Ctr+V, Shift+C to crop, then save the image routine. Pressing C, selecting 4, choosing to save the capture as a file, and removing the tick next to include the mouse pointer means a simple future press of Ctrl+F11 whenever I want a screenshot bypasses all of the above manual labour.

Thanks Rolf, this could be a real labour saver.