Graphic adventures

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
samplefiend

Graphic adventures

Post by samplefiend »

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations of the best graphic adventures on our trusy Dragon.

I've been playing Trek Boer and Juxtaposition and having loads of fun so what else is worth playing / buying and adding to my collection.

Thanks for your help

Craig
Alastair

Re: Graphic adventures

Post by Alastair »

Since you've had fun with Trekboer the obvious recommendation would be the graphical versions of all the other Mark Data Products adventures. If you have a Dragon 64 you can play all of the Mysterious Adventures with graphics enabled, otherwise they are text only.

There's an ever expanding list of Dragon adventures at CASA which you may like to check, though most of these games are text only.

P.S. If anyone knows of any Dragon games that CASA should know about you can either add the entries via the CASA site, or list them in a relevant thread on this site and I will add them to CASA.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

The "Mark data" suggestion is a very good one indeed. "Black Sanctum" was one of my very first purchases (but it was only available as a cassette-based & text-only adventure at the time), and I remember enjoying it immensely. Maybe because of the high price tag, too!

It's only too bad that my favourite Dragon adventure game ever ("El Diablero") never made it to graphics. I believe it might have been too big a piece of code to add any graphics to, at least for 32K machines.

"Shenanigans", "Trekboer" & "The Vortex Factor" are just very good games as well.

You may also want to consider Microdeal's "Tanglewood", but I never managed to actually get into that game: Perhaps it was too much of a mixed bag of things that made little sense. Maybe it's only an acquired taste...

One of the very first graphic adventure games that I can recall was sort of a maze-like adventure from "Dragon Data", taking place somewhere in space or on some kind of spaceship. But I cannot remember its title at the moment (... could it be "Cimeeon Moon"?).

And one of the best ever was of course Wintersoft's "Juxtaposition". You may even consider reading the novels that it was loosely based on (i.e. Piers Anthony's "Blue Adept" trilogy).

You may also want to try Microdeal's "Syzygy", which is a very nice game, but unfortunately, there's a small bit of "arcade action" near the end that seems too random for my own liking!
Last edited by snarkhunter on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
samplefiend

Post by samplefiend »

Thanks for the suggestions folks, plenty there for me to check out. I agree that El Diablero would have made an ace graphics adventure but I guess we'll never know .

Cheers

Craig
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

snarkhunter wrote:You may also want to try Microdeal's "Syzygy", which is a very nice game, but unfortunately, there's a small bit of "arcade action" near the end that seems too random for my own liking!
I've had a look at Syzygy and although the graphics are rather impressive, especially the smoothness and speed, the actual adventure seems rather poor in that it relies too much on trial-and-error to solve problems (unless I've missed some subtle clues). Plus, the aforementioned arcade action requires a joystick and may well be impossible to beat with an emulator emulating a joystick with cursor keys.

For some amusement you may wish to watch this YouTube video of the game, note that some of the language might not be suitable for work.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

samplefiend wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations of the best graphic adventures on our trusy Dragon.

I've been playing Trek Boer and Juxtaposition and having loads of fun so what else is worth playing / buying and adding to my collection.

Thanks for your help

Craig
Here are a couple of graphic adventures by Mike Snyder (Published by T&D Software) for you to try. I have also included a RPG game (Monsters & Magic) which you may like. Just like Trekboer, Vortex Factor, Shenanigans, Sea Search, etc all of the attached games were originally written for the 32K/64K Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer.
Attachments
T&D_GAMES.zip
(24.69 KiB) Downloaded 200 times