DRA-TARI Joystick

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
1982dragon1982

DRA-TARI Joystick

Post by 1982dragon1982 »

Hello everyone, as a kid I always prefered the 'analogue' D32 Joysticks to 'digital' ones but last year I tried to find a 'digital' one that used to be available for the D32.
Before I got one I decided to get out my hammer and adapt an original D32 to 'digital'.
If the pictures have attached to this message you'll see I covered the stick and workings with the rubber piece from an Atari 2600 joystick hence the name DRA-TARI.
I left the pots in to give a value for when the stick is centred and simply used 4 switches wired up to the pot conections to simulate the stick being pushed all the way in each direction etc. The switches are triggered by the stick moving of course.

Hope it gives you a chuckle.

Mike.
1..jpg
1..jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
robcfg

Re: DRA-TARI Joystick

Post by robcfg »

Nice mod!

I really cannot imagine how to play most Dragon arcade games with the digital joystick...

There was an accesory called Dragon Tamer that converted digital joysticks output to the analogue port of the Dragon. I got the software for it but not the real hardware. If anyone hears of it, please tell me!
1982dragon1982

Post by 1982dragon1982 »

Thanks robcfg, as I mentioned I always prefered the proper D32 joysticks myself, and of course some games won't work with the 'digital' style anyway such as 'defense'.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Dragon Tamer you mentioned but last year I got something by Peaksoft - I think, which converts 'D' plug joysticks like the Atari or quickshot to the Dragon port so you can use a selection of sticks instead of just aquiring one 'Dragonised' stick etc.

Mike.
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

This thread has some info on adapting digital joysticks to a Dragon.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=532

-- Rolf
1982dragon1982

Post by 1982dragon1982 »

Thanks Rolf, I'll have a read.

Mike.