why did the dragon only use green in most of its games?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
munkeyboy

Re: why did the dragon only use green in most of its games?

Post by munkeyboy »

Microdeal had quite a few titles that let you choose the colour scheme and from my fading memories it was a case of load the buff and magenta game once and then stick to either the red and green or the hi-res black and white. One game that I did like in the buff scheme though was Hungry Horace by Melbourne House, another one I have just remembered was Mr. Dig by Microdeal.
When I first started thinking about the buff colour scheme at the start of this post, I didn't think there were any that I liked, but having given it some thought there are a few games that it suited (for me anyway), happy memories :D .
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Yeah, the main problem with the colour selection option Microdeal often provided was that games had really been designed for a specific mode and colour scheme anyway, so if you did choose a different one the game often looked pretty awful (garish colour clashes, blocky detail / unreadable text, stripey fills, etc).

I suspect Donkey King might be a popular exception, as it was detailed for PMODE4 but we usually liked to play in PMODE3 green anyway.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Can’t offhand think of one game where I’d have not picked Black if it were an option!

Before I knew about NTSC I think I always assumed that the “shading” in PMODE4 was a deliberate part of the detail - to the extent that I would “shade” my own poor graphics. I bet they’d have looked even more awful in 60Hz land.