XRoar and sound

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
pser1

Re: XRoar and sound

Post by pser1 »

Alastair wrote:Pere,
xroar -ao-format help >> aoformathelp.txt
(or any file name you want)
will create a text file containing the output.
Hi Alastair,
you are right, I had tested with a simple > but I did it
while still using a0 instead of the correct ao
Thanks a lot
cheers
pere
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

@sorchard - Thanks for the earlier response and config suggestion.

Audio break-up seems about the same with these settings although I haven't tried tweaking the values. TBH I'm not entirely sure how these settings affect sound quality? :oops:

Out of curiosity, have you tried capturing from MAME/MESS or VCC? Audio was stable on both last time I checked although I still prefer the overall convenience of XRoar.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Bosco wrote:@sorchard - Thanks for the earlier response and config suggestion.
Audio break-up seems about the same with these settings although I haven't tried tweaking the values. TBH I'm not entirely sure how these settings affect sound quality? :oops:
Out of curiosity, have you tried capturing from MAME/MESS or VCC? Audio was stable on both last time I checked although I still prefer the overall convenience of XRoar.
Hi,
with this last version, on my Windows7, music with SOUND, PLAY commands is acceptable but a bit noisy. But once the emulation has produced any
kind of sound, something has not returned to its default value and from that moment, anything you do on the UI results in spikes of low freq noise,
whatever it is ...
Minimizing, maximizing window, opening the menu, choosing an option ... ugly noise
In fact I found it out testing the Shark game and thought that it was me that had forgotten to restore the PIAs configuration before exiting,
but this is an XRoar side effect.
Anyway you can use the snapshot: 36436 that, on my W7, works fine without unwanted noises
Cheers
pere

Pd. I prefer by far using XRoar, to avoid saying that I dislike MAME/MESS for testing purposes
I use it or VCC (even worse, because of no keyboard mapping facilities) for CoCo emulation
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Hi Pere.

I'd like to try the snapshot you're using. Where can I find it?
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Bosco wrote:Hi Pere.
I'd like to try the snapshot you're using. Where can I find it?
Hi Steve,
I am attaching here a zip with this snapshot

cheers
pere
XRoar v0.34.8 snapshot 2017-36436.zip
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Great stuff! Thanks Pere. :D

I've just been very quickly testing the 64-bit version of the snapshot build under Windows 10.

Results were roughly equivalent to the last release build for me.

As Stew mentioned, with PAL emulation I find sound quality is pretty good. It's NTSC where I experience sound breaking up.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Bosco wrote:Great stuff! Thanks Pere. :D
I've just been very quickly testing the 64-bit version of the snapshot build under Windows 10.
Results were roughly equivalent to the last release build for me.
As Stew mentioned, with PAL emulation I find sound quality is pretty good. It's NTSC where I experience sound breaking up.
You are right,
I had not noticed that. I do always use the PAL version to see how the programs will work on my real D64
I have tested now a CoCo2-NTSC XRoar emulation and the command PLAY"CDE" sounds almost OK but ends with noise (creepy low freq spikes)
even with the snapshot that works well with PAL emulations ...
regards
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi,
I attach here an even older version that seems to work fine with NTSC emulations ...
Maybe you'd want to try it
regards
pere
XRoar v0.34.5 snapshot 2016-49879.zip
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Testing the snapshot above, sound is perfect but framerate is now very `choppy'.

I think we're experiencing a familiar issue here?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5572
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Bosco wrote:Testing the snapshot above, sound is perfect but framerate is now very `choppy'.
I think we're experiencing a familiar issue here?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5572
Hi Steve,
maybe this is the reason why Ciaran has been updating Xroar since then. In fact the last snapshot I upoaded here is one year old!
I am afraid that he is the only one that could find out a way to solve the sound problems on the very last snapshot ...
cheers
pere