XRoar and sound

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sorchard

Re: XRoar and sound

Post by sorchard »

@Bosco

I'm guilty of throwing 'information' out there without fully understanding it myself.

I think that both settings, 'ao-buffer-ms' & 'ao-fragment-ms' do pretty much the same thing, i.e. set up the size of the sound buffer on the xroar side. Which of the two settings is used I think depends on what audio layer xroar discovers. Anyway, the lower the setting, the lower the latency but the greater the chance of gaps and clicks in the playback. If they are set too high then you get gaps again which strikes me as odd, but I've only recently developed an interest in how the audio actually works and don't really know what I'm talking about.

tbh I've not spent any real time with MAME or VCC as xroar ticks all the important boxes for me.
Stew
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

@sorchard Thanks for the clarification Stew. :)

I'm the same, XRoar is great and I'd be lost without it.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Stew and Steve,
it seems that 100% of Dragon software developpers do love and use XRoar ;-)
I think that I am really a simple XRoar user, no idea of the inner works.
It is a great emulator and together with GDB form the toolset I need to test/debug programs.
cheers
pere
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Just want to say thanks for all the feedback & information generally. I'm still not sure what to do with it all, mind ;)

Under Linux, the only issues I see are when I fullscreen it, there is an occasional pause. For some reason I never see that while windowed.

I have an idea about letting the emulator run until a sound buffer is full before waiting for a vsync, but things are stupid busy here at the moment, so it'll take a while!
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Ciaran,
don't worry, I think that none of us is in a hurry.
I am happy with the last snapshop and if I wanted to test something
music related then I can use the one from 2016 without problems.
cheers
pere