New Game for the CoCo/Dragon: TIBURON (SHARK)

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
pser1

Re: New Game for the Dragon: TIBURON (SHARK)

Post by pser1 »

sorchard wrote:Hi Pere,
Your new game is brilliant! Being able to move behind foreground objects is a really nice touch. Great graphics too: That's a pretty convincing Roy Scheider :)
The D64 IRQ 'fix' is mentioned here: viewtopic.php?p=15719#p15719
Hi Stew, thanks for your kind words.
You know I owe you lots of ideas, specially when I was trying to run away from the 6847 drawing the screen and the program had not yet
finished to update the foreground objects ... just to say the hardest one.

Very good memory yours, Stew. I knew it had to be somewhere, but couldn't find the page.
Anyway I have collected two pictures of the board to tell where to cut the trace and where to solder the wire.
And a picture of my modded board with the jumper that allows using it as it was originally, well if you are used to have your Dragon open with no screws ...
I prefer that over adding a switch on a lateral side of the case

cheers
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi, I am here again
You know I have told you that this program has been waiting in my drawer for more than six months ... so I don't remember
everything I did when programming it. But now I have remembered something ... and have verified it!
Any user could try to find a way to init the game at ANY desired level and at the same time choosing the palette.
Don't cheat reading the source code ;-)
First level help:
There is a way to stop the text and the program will wait for a keypress to calculate the program step at which the player
wants to begin. It could be from 1 to 19. Of course the steps you 'jump' using this trick will not show the 'usual' conversations
but the game will begin at home anyway ... good luck!

cheers
pere
jmk

Post by jmk »

Hi, Pere.

Nice work! It's always good to see a new production on the Dragon.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

jmk wrote:Hi, Pere.
Nice work! It's always good to see a new production on the Dragon.
hello!
Thanks a lot for your comment!
I am really pleased to hear from you again, is everything alright there?

cheers
pere
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Pere, I love what you and Jose have done here. :D

The crisp PMODE 4 graphics look great and are very distinctive. Also the `Monkey Island' style gameplay makes Tiburon fun and intuitive.

I did find navigation slightly tricky at times, (tried to exit `screen right' but couldn't until I was standing on the pavement).

It's easy to imagine lots more adventures being written using the Tiburon engine. Maybe you should get together with Bruce Moore for `Forest of Doom II'? :)

Well done and thanks for sharing. :D
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Bosco wrote:Pere, I love what you and Jose have done here. :D
The crisp PMODE 4 graphics look great and are very distinctive. Also the `Monkey Island' style gameplay makes Tiburon fun and intuitive.
I did find navigation slightly tricky at times, (tried to exit `screen right' but couldn't until I was standing on the pavement).
It's easy to imagine lots more adventures being written using the Tiburon engine. Maybe you should get together with Bruce Moore for `Forest of Doom II'? :)
Well done and thanks for sharing. :D
Hi Steve,
thanks a lot, pleased to know you liked it.
The drawings made by José Antonio are superb and this helps a lot!
Concerning the movements, in the beginning there was a 'single' point to change to another location or to talk to somebody.
Then I widened this up to four 'positions' upon the case, but there are a few places where it results a bit tricky, you are right.
To me this has been a big, big learning project. I had never before worked on graphics/sound for our Dragons.

I had read about that game from Bruce Moore, but had not occurred to me to contact him to convert it for the Dragon ...
I have no idea of how it is done ... text, graphics and the machines it is targeted to ...

Right now I am almost at 300% of my free time that got reduced a lot after my mother's health problems.
- I engaged on the MOOH project from Tormod Volden (512k extension) to be used with NitrOS-9 Level II and Fuzix
- I am writting an application to help use the CoCo-Flash from Jim Brain (retro Innovations) on the Dragons to save/use
any kind of program (ROM, BIN, BAS)
- And waiting for the arrival of a CoCoPSG from Ed Snider (zippster), so I will begin to 'play' music with that monster!
cheers
pere
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

I think `Forest of Doom' is a text based adventure written in BASIC?

This might be the author's preferred format, or he might jump at the chance to make a sequel in machine code with hi-res graphics?

I'm sticking my oar in where it's not required so I'll stop now. :lol:
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
I have finished the 'port' to the CoCo of that game-learning project (Tiburon/Shark)
originally targetting Dragon32 for the people from the spanish group Retrowiki.

I am attaching here the two versions that should work on Dragon32/64/200/Tano both PAL-NTSC
and CoCo1-2-(3) both PAL-NTSC
I have tested CoCo3 on VCC2.0.1b but this doesn't allow me to move Brody. In MAME178 I could play ...
The best for CoCo users will be, for sure to use the CoCo-SDC that loads images very fast and allows
changing disks just pressing one button. The speed loading an image with RSDOS is almost infuriating!

The Dragon users have everything on a 360k disk, so no swapping needed.
The CoCo users get two disks 160k each and this forces changing the disk at certain points along the game
- You begin with DISK01 and as soon as you get to the Police Station you better change to DISK02
- At any point of the game if you decide to go back home using the car (from the Police Station), you
have to put again DISK01
- The other point that *needs* DISK01 is the ship 'ORCA'. Whenever you want to enter it, plesase, remember
to put DISK01. And remember that 'outside' the Orca you will need DISK02.
If you forget to do the disc change, you will be greated with "NE ERROR" and back to the Basic Interpreter,
which is not very interesting ... but as MAP1 was not allowed, the RSDOS errors can not be intercepted, or
at least I do not know how to do that.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.
Enjoy!
pere
Shark v37G.zip
(206.38 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
EDIT1 - 2017/11/14 - I have changed the zip name to v37G because old only Dragon version was v37C.
The new file has the same content than previous one, ONLY name has been updated, sorry!

EDIT2 - This version doesn't generate SOUND on a CoCo3. Please, download next one
Last edited by pser1 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pser1

Re: New Game for the CoCo/Dragon: TIBURON (SHARK)

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
well, after testing on my CoCo3, I could verify that sound didn't work at all with the current Dragon settings I had added to the program.

After some testing, I found that there were two code lines that were in conflict with the CoCo3 hardware,
but worked well with the other computers :-(
I have deleted them and now CoCo3 users will be able to listen to the music played with the 2-voice motor by Simon Jonassen
and the footsteps I added together with my reduced wave player for some sounds on the car ...

Unfortunately the waveform used by the player is an ascending sawtooth that has not a nice sound on bass notes, sorry.
I entered the score for Shark and maybe I could have set it one octave higher ...
Remember that Dragon 64 will sound awfully due to the 50 HS lines that are not added to the CPU IRQ, but it sounds well on the Dragon 32

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.
Enjoy!
pere
SHARK v37H.ZIP
Hopefully the very last version ;-)
(208.2 KiB) Downloaded 299 times