XRoar Cassette Rewrite.

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
chrispoacher

XRoar Cassette Rewrite.

Post by chrispoacher »

Hi folks,

I've been using re-write in Xroar to convert a lot of my cas and real audio files to create the Android archive that loads games from wav files from an Android device using a player.

Just wondering if there is a way to get the same quality output as can be got from the dos Dragon Convert DC program.? I've tried a few changes to the Xroar command line at the start but even at 16bit doesn't sound much better. Hopefully it's just something I'm doing wrong.

The files all work of course, but I'd rather get more original sounding wav files as Xroar's ones are slightly faster and also 8 bit by default.

Either that or has anyone setup a batch converter for Dragon Convert to convert all cas files in a folder to wav's?

CP
pser1

Re: XRoar Cassette Rewrite.

Post by pser1 »

Hi Chris,
not sure if that could help, maybe you have already tried it out, but anyway ...
The manual states this:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Select the output frame rate when writing to audio files with -tape-ao-rate hz.
The default is 9600Hz
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe you could rise it to 19200 or even further ...
This implies preparing a bat file to start Xroar and set there the parameters you'd want
cheers
pere
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

pser1 wrote: This implies preparing a bat file to start Xroar and set there the parameters you'd want
Or just putting a line in xroar.conf:

Code: Select all

tape-ao-rate 48000
pser1

Post by pser1 »

sixxie wrote:
pser1 wrote: This implies preparing a bat file to start Xroar and set there the parameters you'd want
Or just putting a line in xroar.conf:

Code: Select all

tape-ao-rate 48000
Hi Ciaran
if I add this line to the config or in the command line xroar .... it crashes all of the time.
I tried -tape-ao-rate 19200 but failed as well
What am I doing wrong?
I am using windows 64 version
cheers
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi,
this snapshot works flawlessly:
xroar-snap-2015-33312-w64
I am going to test some more maybe the problem comes from the same point where gbd begun to work 'strangely'
cheers
pere
Last edited by pser1 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
I have been testing from that old one to the more recent ones and the last one that works well is:
"XRoar v0.33.2 snapshot 2016-15132"
From this one: "XRoar v0.33.2 snapshot 2016-23837" on, all do crash with parameter -tape-ao-rate xxxx
cheers
pere
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

That'll teach me to post without trying :)

Looks like a bug! I'll look into it...

Edit: fixed - bundled that up with some other fixes and pushed out a new point release
pser1

Post by pser1 »

HI Ciaran,
thanks a lot!
I have downloaded that version but when trying it with the same CAS file I had tested before ...
The AVG antivirus has decided that the executable is suspicious and has sent it to his office,
so I *must* wait for 70 minutes before they decide that this is *no* virus at all.
Hating these actions!
will let you know later, sorry :-(
cheers
pere
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Wow. I'd be really surprised if it were infected with a Windows virus, as it was built under Linux using MinGW - as were all the external libraries it's linked with.

FWIW, a freshly updated ClamAV finds nothing.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

HI,
don't think so, but the like to show!
Once I installed a whole AVG suite, just for one year, then I went back to the free version.
Unfortunately, there is something left in the register and so it behaves a bit different from the std free version.
They have not yet said anything, pity!
cheers
pere