Dunjunz FINAL - with source!

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

Dunjunz FINAL - with source!

Post by sixxie »

Very rough around the edges (edit: much less rough now), but I think it's time to get wider feedback:

http://www.6809.org.uk/dunjunz/

I think joysticks work ok. Could be better. Digital gamepad style is going to be recommended for controlling this sort of thing, I reckon.

Edit: source code here:

https://github.com/sixxie/dunjunz

Edit: Beta4.1 out - try it if you have a 64K machine! Feedback about behaviour of analogue joysticks still appreciated. Hybrid disk image works on Dragon or CoCo.

Further edit: RC1! With any luck the only change after this will be to remove the string "RC1" from the scrolltext...

Edit, edit: FINAL version released! Time to play! :)
Last edited by sixxie on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:17 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bosco

Re: Dunjunz beta1

Post by Bosco »

Ha, cool loading screen! :D

Short on time at the moment but looking forward to a closer look later in the week.
Pernod70

Post by Pernod70 »

This is a great conversion, looks and feels like the original. I really enjoyed the BBC original but it was released a little too late for me to spend any significant time playing it.

Well done!
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Bosco wrote:Ha, cool loading screen! :D
A colour-reduced version of the one on the BBC Micro disk version - doesn't come out too bad, eh? If I had any artistic ability, I'd try for something more original ;)
Pernod70 wrote:This is a great conversion, looks and feels like the original.
Cheers! I think I have enough RAM left for a hi-res font to provide even greater verisimilitude even on the '32. Edit: added in beta2!
jmk

Post by jmk »

I'm impressed, it's a good conversion with nice presentation!

It's quite fast. I find it quite hard to play, as a single player game, but that is to be expected.

I shall try copying it onto my MicroSD Drive Pak and then try to run it on my CoCo 2 with various joysticks (if the loader is compatible with the Drive Pak).
jmk

Post by jmk »

I've tested it on a real CoCo 2 (PAL) and, wow, is this game hard! I've made it to level 4 now.

Using a non-self-centring joystick is mega-tough. Diagonals are very awkward, you spend a lot of time stuck against the wall while trying to move the joystick to a useful position. You can't fire while "stuck", which makes it even harder.

Self-centring joysticks are a LOT better. I don't know if it's my imagination, my joystick, or whatever, but I feel that I have to push up slightly further than I have to push down to move the player?

Real digital joysticks (using an adaptor) are top notch.

Keyboard controls take a lot to get used to, but that is basically unavoidable.

Erm... you could release it on a special cartridge with 4 digital joystick ports? :D

If you follow behind a baddie, you lose energy even if you aren't that close.
When I got to level 2, using only player 4, I couldn't walk into one of the (supposedly) empty squares that one of the other players would have been in, had they been selected (the top right one). When I shot at the empty square, the non-existent player lost energy until they died. At that point the bones appeared and I could walk over the square again.

Ah, I just see you've release beta 2! All my comments are about beta 1.

I see you've tried a Megadrive pad on one of the Atari adaptors. It doesn't work too well. My Altai adaptor always has the joystick off-centre when I try a Megadrive pad. That said, I believe there is someone in the C64 scene who sells an adaptor to use Megadrive pads on the C64, as the extra pin connections can cause diabolical problems to the C64, so maybe they could be used in concert with the Atari adaptors?

=======================================================================

Edit: A short update about beta 2.

The level 2 "empty square" bug is gone, joystick sensitivity is OK (although non-centring joysticks are still terrible).

I haven't played it as long, but I can't find too much to fault. The only thing I can think of is that the left joystick fire button sets "N" for NTSC on the CoCo.
briza

Post by briza »

Sixxie.

very cool game I likey. awesome seeing new stuff being done.

laters

Briza
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

jmk wrote:I've tested it on a real CoCo 2 (PAL) and, wow, is this game hard! I've made it to level 4 now.
That's pretty good going - by yourself? The more players, the easier it would probably be: only one has to make it to the exit.

Cheers for the feedback! Some changes already in for the next beta.

I see what you mean about bumping into monsters: the original is more forgiving, so I've limited the damage it can do.

Yeah, Megadrive controller through Altai = fail. According to t'internet it's just a case of a) pulling a select line high, and b) isolating the buttons using a couple of transistors. I don't seem to have any PNP to hand, wondering if I can just sink firebutton into an AND gate - got some of those :)

Joysticks in general still need some work. Your comment about having to push up more is interesting: same for left? Possibly the way I'm swinging the DAC around. Got an idea for that...
When I shot at the empty square, the non-existent player lost energy until they died.
Heh, yes, that's fixed - uninitialised position variable! I'd noticed it in a different way: a player's ghost was obviously sat somewhere monsters could get to it and you could see their health steadily decreasing...
briza wrote:very cool game I likey. awesome seeing new stuff being done
Cheers :)
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Had a little play on Dunjunz beta 2.1 in XRoar this evening.

I opted for an XBox controller over the keyboard and played as the Fighter. Quite a tricky game to the uninitiated. Exploring the dungeons is good fun but the speed of the monsters makes them quite challenging to shoot/dodge.

I have one question. Is it possible to determine which keys fit which locked doors without trying them first?
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Bosco wrote: I have one question. Is it possible to determine which keys fit which locked doors without trying them first?
No! Just like the original!

But I've wondered about this before, as it makes things more frustrating than they need to be.

Off the back of your comment I've added a second colour of key & doors - gives you a 1 in 10 chance of being right instead of 1 in 20! "Just" need to make it reflect the colour in your inventory and ensure you drop the right colour when swapping keys, dying or exiting.

Might make that optional - an "easy mode", with some other things tweaked if you select it too.