Dunjunz FINAL - with source!

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Bosco

Re: Dunjunz beta1

Post by Bosco »

Crumbs, in the original you only had a 1 in 20 chance of having the right key. That's hardcore. :D

The only reason I brought it up was until you've learned the level layout there's a lot of trial and error involved and often I was `got' by a monster while trying doors.

Very cool project though Ciaran! :D
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Bosco wrote:Crumbs, in the original you only had a 1 in 20 chance of having the right key. That's hardcore. :D
Heh, not quite that bad - obviously your selection is limited until you've opened the map up a bit. The number just comes from maximum number of doors & keys - in theory it could be as bad as 1 in 20 :)

Learning the maps is part of the game, I think, but I see no reason not to at least have an option to make it easier.
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

sixxie wrote: Heh, not quite that bad - obviously your selection is limited until you've opened the map up a bit. The number just comes from maximum number of doors & keys - in theory it could be as bad as 1 in 20 :).
Ah ok, I understand. :oops:

I agree learning the maps is part of the gameplay and how you ultimately develop mastery and a sense of accomplishment. That said a new `easy' option does sound like a nice way to help ease in novice players.

If such an option were to exist I think slower moving enemies might be the most helpful buff but perhaps limit `easy' players to the first few dungeons? That way finishing the game is an accolade reserved only for the most deserving players.

Make your game your way though. There's nothing worse than people pitching ideas which don't fit with what you're trying to achieve. :D
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Added easy mode!

Hopefully didn't break too much in the process. Easy mode changes:
  • Doors split into two colour groups
  • Energy drainers take less shooting
  • Energy drainers do less damage
  • Initial monster HP reduced
However, monster strength now increases per level.

It becomes a little easier in both difficulty settings by fixing the chasing bug where you lost far too much HP.

Joystick behaviour changed - see if that makes things easier, or just more frustrating!

Edit: added mode selection for joysticks and fixed bug in how it predicted movement. I'd prefer to only keep one of these modes in; I'll try and test myself over the weekend, but if you try it, let me know how it seems to you!

Further edit: to expand on that a bit, this is about how diagonals are handled:

Mode 1 will always choose a direction from the axis orthogonal to that in which you last moved - so in open space you'd move, say, up-left-up-left. Or you'll walk along a wall until there is an opening (not doors yet).

Mode 2 is the inverse, and prefers to continue along the same axis until you encounter an obstruction.

Which works best, I don't know yet :)

Even more edit: in beta 3.2, monsters deal less damage in "easy mode". All bugs fixed (a ha-ha-ha).
sixxie

Re: Dunjunz - with source!

Post by sixxie »

Source code!

I finally tidied it up enough to show. Though you can see some history of when it was more awful ;)

https://github.com/sixxie/dunjunz

Still needs lots of joystick testing and a better finishing animation...
jmk

Post by jmk »

The new easy mode is very welcome indeed! The key colours, especially, make exploring much easier. I've now made it to level 6!

I haven't had a chance to try it on real hardware yet, I will do so in the next few days.

In the meantime, I would point out that the main colour of a baddy is different if they're moving horizontally instead of vertically. For example, in PAL mode, the main body colour of a baddy is yellow (horizontally) and red (vertically). The head is red (H) or yellow (V). The feet remain green for both.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

jmk wrote: In the meantime, I would point out that the main colour of a baddy is different if they're moving horizontally instead of vertically.
Hm you're right - there is some yellow there, but it's not nearly so prominent vertically. I'll poke at the graphics a bit.
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Had a bit of free time this evening so thought I'd fire-up XRoar and have a game of Dunjunz (beta 3.5).

I have to say this game is a lot of fun! :D

I'm playing on the new Easy mode while I familiarise myself with the game's mechanics and the level of challenge feels spot-on for novice, solo players.

Great job Ciaran. :D :D
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Bosco wrote:Had a bit of free time this evening so thought I'd fire-up XRoar and have a game of Dunjunz (beta 3.5).

I have to say this game is a lot of fun! :D
Oh cool, glad you're getting on with it!

But... I just uploaded Beta 4, and if you have a 64K machine I think you'll like that even more!

Edit: fixed loading on CoCo 3!

Edit: disk image!
Bosco

Re: Dunjunz Beta4 - with source!

Post by Bosco »

Cool CYD music. :D