Dunjunz FINAL - with source!

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

Re: Dunjunz Beta4 - with source!

Post by sixxie »

Bosco wrote:Cool CYD music. :D
Hee. Actually yet another different mixing core - this one tries to be like the BBC Micro sound chip!

That remz has a lot to answer for ;)

Quite a while back, he posted an early version of CoCoSID on the coco3.com forums, and a bunch of us piled in helping him optimise it...

Edit: think I've got a novel twist in the way I'm generating square waves, though you often find out someone did your clever thing 20 years ago!
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

I've been binge-reading the Dark Tower novels again, as the movie is out soon, but made some time today to play Dunjunz with my son.

The music is superb, sounds authentic, and sets the game off nicely. (Neat trick for generating square waves btw!)

Playing with floating joysticks is a bit of an ordeal compared to the precision of using keys or digital/self-centring sticks. One thing that makes them harder to use is not being able to shoot while moving. Joystick mode 1 with the diagonal movement feels a lot more playable than mode 2. (To be honest I'm not sure how I was able to play any game with the Dragon Data joysticks - They're just not cut out for gaming)

The easy difficulty setting is definitely a welcome addition and feels a lot fairer than the standard setting.

This really is an excellent conversion, and very well presented too. Great job! :D
Stew
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Thanks, Stew. Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be able to make non-centring joysticks any nicer to use, so it's going to stay as it is. Agreed, mode 1 is the way to go.

Which leads me on to... Release Candidate 1! Hooray! As in, if nothing truly horrible shows up, I'm going to call this the "proper" version.

Pretty much all just packaging changes since the last beta, but I've also added a scrolly message because this is the '80s, and that's what you do.

Hybrid disk image though, with boot blocks for both Dragon and CoCo - no need to have two copies on your CoCoSDC!
robcfg

Re: Dunjunz RC1 - with source!

Post by robcfg »

I've been playing a bit the RC1 and it's coming up quite nice.

I guess playing solo isn't the idea here and that the more, the merrier.

Anyway, excellent job!
sixxie

Re: Dunjunz RC1 - with source!

Post by sixxie »

Cheers, Rob! Yeah, I think it'll really be fun with multiple people playing... Something I can't often rustle up here :/