MAME - Speech Synthesis Module

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Pernod70

MAME - Speech Synthesis Module

Post by Pernod70 »

Any chance of getting any better photos of this cartridge, particularly the other side of the PCB?

We already have the Tandy Sound/Speech Cartridge emulated which works well with Module Man, but would be nice to get this in there too.
Pernod70

Re: MAME - Speech Synthesis Module

Post by Pernod70 »

I see from adverts in 1984 that JCB also made a combined Speech/Sound cartridge, which is probably similar to the one from Tandy. Do we have any info and a ROM for this?
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Sadly not that I know.

We know of the combined cartridge but never seen one in the flesh.
Pernod70

Post by Pernod70 »

I recently emulated a BBC speech device by Watford Electronics and thought the implementation looked quite similar to this Dragon device. The BBC device has the SP0256 hooked up to a 6522 VIA whereas this Dragon cartridge has it connected to a 6821 PIA.

The BBC device has the SP0256 SBY/LRQ lines connected to CB2/CB1 and the address to PB so tried the same for the Dragon and it worked! In addition the IRQB line goes to NMI. It also works if I remove the SBY to CB2 connection so doubt this is correct as CB2 is configured as an output, but not sure where it goes.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Pernod70 wrote:It also works if I remove the SBY to CB2 connection so doubt this is correct as CB2 is configured as an output, but not sure where it goes.
The Watford Electronics BEEB Speech Synthesiser has a built in speaker, see http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... nthesiser/, whereas the JCB unit does not. Could CB2 be connected to the speaker on the Watford Electronics device?
Pernod70

Post by Pernod70 »

Alastair wrote:Could CB2 be connected to the speaker on the Watford Electronics device?
Definitely not, CB2 is a logic line not audio.