Dunjunz & Dragons

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
briza

Re: Dunjunz & Dragons

Post by briza »

sixxie wrote:Taking inspiration from Stew, a little dev diary.

http://www.6809.org.uk/dev/dunjunz/

It's got videos in it and everything. No release yet, hoping to have something to show in Cambridge perhaps.

GIdday Sixxie,

Was hoping to see you do a game 1 day mate, Will this game run on a coco as well?

laters

Briza
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

briza wrote: Was hoping to see you do a game 1 day mate, Will this game run on a coco as well?
Yeah, I had to get around to a proper game some time!

No reason it wouldn't run on a CoCo, the only hitch might be finding a set of keys that work for both keyboard players without conflict - either with each other, or the firebuttons. The current set wouldn't do, for example: firebuttons are on the same row as some player keys in the CoCo map.

TBH, I've not *extensively* tested it on the Dragon yet - need to be sure that the normal chording of keys while playing doesn't cause the other player to do weird things :) Must get Dragon out of loft soon...

New video posted last night. Things are progressing nicely...

..ciaran
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Wow, you're rattling through it now Ciaran, putting the rest of us to shame. :)

I've been on a bit of a hiatus recently while I attend to more pressing matters but hopefully I'm freed-up now and looking forward to Cambridge.
briza

Post by briza »

sixxie wrote:
briza wrote: Was hoping to see you do a game 1 day mate, Will this game run on a coco as well?
Yeah, I had to get around to a proper game some time!

No reason it wouldn't run on a CoCo, the only hitch might be finding a set of keys that work for both keyboard players without conflict - either with each other, or the firebuttons. The current set wouldn't do, for example: firebuttons are on the same row as some player keys in the CoCo map.

TBH, I've not *extensively* tested it on the Dragon yet - need to be sure that the normal chording of keys while playing doesn't cause the other player to do weird things :) Must get Dragon out of loft soon...

New video posted last night. Things are progressing nicely...

..ciaran
The game is looking sweet as, If the game uses JOysticks it should work no problemo, as for Keyboard easy fixs make a template might not be hands co-ordinated lolz but still better then nothing :-)

laters

Briza
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Another step closer to "finished", I've uploaded a video with sound. Showcases an NTSC mode and CoCo support (gained at the cost of much elevated frustration) too!

http://www.6809.org.uk/dev/dunjunz/#som ... trying-for

Beta soonish...
jmk

Post by jmk »

sixxie wrote:Another step closer to "finished", I've uploaded a video with sound. Showcases an NTSC mode and CoCo support (gained at the cost of much elevated frustration) too!
Great work! It looks like it's going to be really good.

But bear in mind that a CoCo 3 connected to an RGB monitor will not display artifacts.
I don't know if you update the game engine at different rates in PAL or NTSC mode? (Let's not get into 60 hz PAL-M in the Brazilian clone machines... :? )
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

jmk wrote: But bear in mind that a CoCo 3 connected to an RGB monitor will not display artifacts.
Yeah, I'm not doing any NTSC detection though - it's selectable, so CoCo users can always just choose "PAL". Or I'll add more code to tweak the palette on the CoCo 3 at some point.
I don't know if you update the game engine at different rates in PAL or NTSC mode? (Let's not get into 60 hz PAL-M in the Brazilian clone machines... :? )
Ah nothing clever going on: no vsync, no real timing to speak of bar the audio fragment player. The resulting flicker is actually useful in the game (and reflects the original) - you can see where a key/dead player/drainer are all occupying one square because it happily draws all of them.