Dragon keyboard repair

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
WildW

Dragon keyboard repair

Post by WildW »

Hi folks. My beloved Dragon's keyboard has gotten quite rotten to use, with some of the keys taking a few presses before they register (and then I get two characters and have to backspace).

Is there a recommended process or any tips for improving it?
sorchard

Re: Dragon keyboard repair

Post by sorchard »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's been a while since I've done it, but I remember being able to pull the key caps off to expose the contacts. They can then be gently cleaned with a thin bit of cardboard dipped in something like contact cleaner or IPA.

If that doesn't do it, it's possible a soldered joint has become open circuit under the key switch.

Please be aware the ribbon cable between keyboard and main board is fragile and it doesn't take much to break the wires. (It may even be the problem as it would effect a number of keys at the same time)

Good luck!
Stew
WildW

Post by WildW »

Thanks - looking again at the pictures of a disassembled keyboard on the wiki I see you can indeed get at the contacts that way. I hadn't looked closely enough and thought there would just be plastic under the keycaps like more modern keyboards. I'll try this before considering taking the keyboard out.

Cardboard in particular and not a cotton bud?
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

WildW wrote:Cardboard in particular and not a cotton bud?
A cotton bud is good if it will fit between the contacts without bending them. I can't remember what I did to be honest so suggested cardboard as a safe option. I imagined putting the card between the contacts and then pressing the contact guide down to allow the contacts to close on the card with minimal pressure.
Stew
WildW

Post by WildW »

I did this. .. it was super easy :) The Dragon keyboard is very easy to get keycaps off and on, and I can CLOAD much more easily now. Last time I tried to type in a BASIC listing was not fun, but now it should be a breeze.