Eurohard OS9 Level 1 V2 - disk OK?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
bluearcus

Eurohard OS9 Level 1 V2 - disk OK?

Post by bluearcus »

Hi all,

Since getting hold of my CocoSDC, I've been messing around with some of the disk software from the archive on my Dragon 32 (64 + 6551) rather than using XRoar.

One thing I've noticed is that the Eurohard OS9 V2 system disk image in the archive doesn't seem to BOOT reliably on my real hardware via the CocoSDC. DragonData and NitrOS9 both fire up reliably, and being worried about my precious old hacked about drahon I've done some other hardware tests (Ram test routine for hi-32k, and SAM & CPU swaps) but to no avail...

I wonder if the disk image is a bit dodgy in a way that doesn't manifest in XRoar, or if it's some sort of CocoSDC thing. Would anyone else mind doing a test on real hardware with a CocoSDC?

To be as close to real DragonDos hardware booting, I'm selecting the OS9 v2 disk via SDRIVE or using SDCX, then switching to an ordinary 8k Superdos e6 disk rom in another SDC bank, then booting os9.

If anyone else can reproduce the fail, then I'll dump the version of Eurohard OS9 L1 V2 that I have on disk here and see if that improves things.
tjewell

Re: Eurohard OS9 Level 1 V2 - disk OK?

Post by tjewell »

Hi!

So this is 'OS-9 Level 1 V2.0 (1985)(Eurohard SA)[OS-9][!].zip' from the archive? I unzipped it, renamed it to 'OS9V20.VDK' (to get rid of the underscore), did an SDRIVE 1,"OS9V20.VDK", then a BOOT. And then I went 'ooo' at the nice small font that appeared shortly after. But that's where my knowledge of OS9 stops. A 'dir' showed me a couple files, that's it.

Anything you'd like me to do to test it further?

Cheers, Tony
bluearcus

Post by bluearcus »

Well, that suggests it's my old machine that's ropey then :-(

Probably no further testing required!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Bluearcus,
have you tried a disk ROM other than Superdos E6? You never know, it could be the ROM image that is the issue.
bluearcus

Post by bluearcus »

I'm running from a CoCoSDC, and have tried BOOTing straight from DosPlus Extender, as well as from SuperDos E6 after switching to that and doing a warm re-start.

I'll try programming another Dos ROM into one of the other banks and see if that makes a difference, but I'm skeptical! The way the failure occurs makes me think it's a RAM problem.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

bluearcus wrote:The way the failure occurs makes me think it's a RAM problem.
In that case you may want to try Tormod's RAM Test program.
bluearcus

Post by bluearcus »

Turns out it was a DosPlus Extender issue when used with SDCExplorer! Pere has now fixed it in the latest DPE build!

So none of my 64k machines have bad memory! Hooray!