Dragon Disk Drive

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
acsi

Dragon Disk Drive

Post by acsi »

I recently acquired a Dragon single disk drive and now have one of Zaxxon's interfaces to hook it up to my Dragon's.

However as expected its not working correctly and a DSKINIT1,1,40 results in a ?RF ERROR.

I can confirm the 5v and 12v lines are working fine and the disk actually spins and head moves.

I have cleaned the head rails and the head itself but still get the same result.

Any help appreciated for the next step required to get it working again

Thanks
robcfg

Re: Dragon Disk Drive

Post by robcfg »

I had the same issue with my Dragon drives and the original controller, but they worked ok with my clone DragonDOS controller.

The controllers have some calibration to do, so maybe yours isn't calibrated to suit your drive.

May I suggest you modify a standard PC floppy cable like this and test it with a 3.5" PC drive?

Remember to put some tape on the right hole of the disk if you use a 1.44MB disk so that the drive sees it as a 720KB one.

If it works, it's indeed a calibration problem. Otherwise, it may be that your drive needs some service.
acsi

Post by acsi »

Thanks,

I have tried with another single sided drive and a 3.5" drive and get the same result.

So how do I configure the Zaxxon controller? :?:
acsi

Post by acsi »

OK This is interesting.

Before putting this aside for another day I decided to try it with my Dragon 64 and it works perfectly.

Now I'm happy the drive is going (especially as I got it for next to nothing) and confused that it won't work with my Dragon32.

Edit

Hmm well it was working with the 64. writing files etc with no problems.

Now its just failed again after I decided to test it with the 32 again. I get ?CC and ?RF errors.

Works fine on both with my HxC drive though.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Its a calibration error - On the original DragonDOS interface there are two variable resistors that can be used to calibrate the interface. Its not an easy job and needs a scope and the data sheet. Much easier to change the drive to something else like HxC.
Simon Hardy
acsi

Post by acsi »

Thanks. The interface works fine with my HxC. And at least I know the Dragon drive works.