Power supply - disks

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
bluearcus

Power supply - disks

Post by bluearcus »

Hi all,

Well, thought it was unlikely to last. After firing up fine, my 20+ year idle switch mode power supply which I use for my cobbled together disk setup decided to give up the ghost last night. Replacing the obviously dead X1 cap doesn't seem to have worked though today sadly.

Anyone able to point me at a decent priced suitable replacement that can handle a couple of old full-height 5.25s? Cheap Chinese modern hard disk supply I have on hand isn't up to the job and boy does it make the mains sing. :shock: :lol:

Mike
bluearcus

Re: Power supply - disks

Post by bluearcus »

This is about the best I can find, though I'd like it if the 5V was a bit beefier.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/embedded- ... s/6447067/

5V@2A, 12V@6A. 54W

Any thoughts?
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I think 2A is quite a lot, specially if they are only for the disk drives...
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

bluearcus wrote:5V@2A, 12V@6A. 54W
The product page is misleading. Datasheet actually says 5V @ 6A, 12V @ 2A

Not sure what the power requirement is for an old full height drive. Might be worth measuring if you can then double it.

Tempting to suggest separate 5V & 12V supplies. ebay is virtually creaking under the weight of them.

A cheap source of ridiculous amounts of power is an ATX PSU. They usually need a link made to enable the supply and possibly a minimum load.
Stew
bluearcus

Post by bluearcus »

Done a bit more research now. My drives pre-date the Dragon, they are Y-E data and Micropolis 80 track full heights (the Y-E one is double sided).

The only supply info I can find for them suggests that Micropolis drives from their full-height series would like 1.5A on the 12V line at worst, but 1A even when idle and 1A on the 5V at all times. Assuming similar for the Y-E drive, my first suggestion's underpowered on the 12v line by some way. Thanks for the pointer to the dubious product listing sorchard - always read the datasheet!