Floppy drive for VCOPY

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
raycomp

Floppy drive for VCOPY

Post by raycomp »

I am trying to burn some disks with VCOPY which needs a 5.25 inch 360k drive.
I have taken a TEAC FD-55BR-521-u out of a Tandy 1000SX and the Dragon will format a disk OK.
Having set the BIOS to floppy 360K, on an old 80386 PC running Caldera DOS 7 the drive gives a 'Not Ready' error and on a Windows XP system 'A: is not accessible' + 'I/O device error'.
The drive only has a few user set latches - D0-3 (set to D0), ML and RY. U1 and IU are soldered on.
I have tried with RY on and off with no change.
Is it that the floppy interface on the more modern boards require a signal the TEAC doesn't/can't send?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ray
robcfg

Re: Floppy drive for VCOPY

Post by robcfg »

Which program are you trying to read the disk with?
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

Hi Ray,

It's been a loooong time since I've done anything like that but I do remember swapping drives between Dragon and PC fairly freely. Probably not much help but I think PC drives were generally set as drive 1 (instead of drive 0) to work as expected on the cable that had a twist between the two drive headers. This would put Drive A: at the end of the cable.
Stew
raycomp

Post by raycomp »

robcfg wrote:Which program are you trying to read the disk with?
On the DOS machine with A:
On the XP machine file explorer, also get an error with Omniflop.
raycomp

Post by raycomp »

sorchard wrote:Hi Ray,

It's been a loooong time since I've done anything like that but I do remember swapping drives between Dragon and PC fairly freely. Probably not much help but I think PC drives were generally set as drive 1 (instead of drive 0) to work as expected on the cable that had a twist between the two drive headers. This would put Drive A: at the end of the cable.
I have a cable with a connector before and after the twist - drive does not respond at all (led does not light up, does not spin) if not connected as the correct drive, also tried setting as Drive 1 with no change when using the correct connector.
Thanks,
Ray
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

raycomp wrote:
robcfg wrote:Which program are you trying to read the disk with?
On the DOS machine with A:
On the XP machine file explorer, also get an error with Omniflop.
With Windows' file explorer you can't do anything as the system doesn't recognize the DragonDOS disk format.

The problem with omniflop could be that you don't have installed Simon Owen's fdrawcmd driver, which is needed for Omniflop to work.

If you have fdrawcmd installed, I recommend you to use the HxC Floppy Emulator software, which let you dump real disks and it's easier to use than Omniflop.
raycomp

Post by raycomp »

robcfg wrote: With Windows' file explorer you can't do anything as the system doesn't recognize the DragonDOS disk format.

The problem with omniflop could be that you don't have installed Simon Owen's fdrawcmd driver, which is needed for Omniflop to work.

If you have fdrawcmd installed, I recommend you to use the HxC Floppy Emulator software, which let you dump real disks and it's easier to use than Omniflop.
I was testing file explorer with a 360K DOS disk.
I use Omniflop fairly frequently - its driver is installed but it's not called fdrawcmd.
I'm going to try a different method, will report back.
Thanks,
Ray
raycomp

Post by raycomp »

Using a Hex editor on the VDK file, a compatible RadioShack format in Omniflop and a 1.2Mb 5.25" floppy drive in my Windows XP system I have burnt a disc OK.
Thanks for your help.
Ray :D