My dragon won't load tapes

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
kerbingamer376

My dragon won't load tapes

Post by kerbingamer376 »

Hi,
I'm trying to load tapes into my dragon 32, but every time I try I get it seeming to detect a file (showing "F FROGGER") but then, after a second, giving me a ?IO ERROR.
I've tried all different volume levers on my tape player with no effect. The dragon can load tapes as wavs from my PC fine.
admin
Site Admin

Re: My dragon won't load tapes

Post by admin »

This will either be your tape player or the tape itself. Nothing wrong with the Dragon if it can load from a WAV via a PC. The tapes do degrade over time, hence the effort to preserve there content.

Usually I set the volume to 75% of its maximum and ensure the tape head and capstan have been cleaned and the head re-aligned - this is nothing new and was an issue back in the 80's - its just the tapes are a little older and usually have more "noise" on them now.

Stick with the WAV files - look out for an Android loader app from one of the forum members.
Simon Hardy
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

As said, I'd try to connect your Dragon tape cable to the output of your sound card on your pc and try to load one of the WAV files we have on the archive.

If that works, your tape is faulty. Otherwise, your Dragon may need repair.

Please try and tell us the results.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

robcfg wrote:If that works, your tape is faulty.
It may not necessarily be a faulty tape, as Simon said it could be a problem with the tape player. The best way to isolate the problem is to try, if possible, several tapes and tape players. Even an old Walkman could be used in this test (though you will lose the remote control and record ability so a Walkman is not a long term solution).