New Member!

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
shadowmask

New Member!

Post by shadowmask »

Hi!

After bringing the D32 out of the attic I fired it up and it still works :)

My dad bought the D32 back in 1983 from a Tandy store in the UK, think it was about £200 at the time. The hours we spent typing in the listings out of books.. saving them.. then the occasional IO ERROR when trying to reload :lol:

Here's the beast itself with some other stuff I got from eBay in later years:
D32.jpg
D32.jpg (298.98 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
Brian
Rolo

Re: New Member!

Post by Rolo »

Welcome home Brian!
Interesting things on your photo. Can you still ask your dad, what projects he or both of you was/were working on?
Isn't it great to fire up things after more than 30 years? I always find that very exciting :!:
Cheers,
Rolo
shadowmask

Post by shadowmask »

After the initial few months my dad lost interest in it but I stuck at it because I was doing Basic programming at school so it was a great help there. The next stage was machine code and a few utilities were made, one was a routine that drew text characters onto a Pmode 4 screen, it was real slow especially when the screen scolled-up. I still remember drawing those characters out on graph paper and converting the patterns to bytes :lol:

It went in the loft for many years until a guy in work gave me a tube of 512KBx8 SRAMS in the late '90s, one of which became the basis of a crude expansion for the cart slot, I wish I still had that - it was a veroboard with a 6821 on it, LEDs for port status, and an IDC header to access the extra ports. The underside was a nest of link wires all formed with 90 degree bends. Anyways, the D32 went back in the loft again for a few years, then I started buying stuff from eBay, a few game & utility carts, and an I/O expansion made by Maplin.

I think I will always have the D32, every once in a while it gets unpacked, fired up, played with :)

Brian
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

With your cartridge, firing up the "naked" computer is quite rapid, you'll see. :shock:
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Welcome shadowmask. :D

I wish I knew where my childhood Dragon went. I never got rid of it so in theory it's buried somewhere?

A few years ago I decided to buy another off Ebay but it's not quite the same. :(
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

it's buried somewhere
Almogordo maybe, where they are all dumping their stuff? :D :shock: :lol:
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

LOL! :lol: