Wintersoft - Usurper of Rune

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
MDM73

Wintersoft - Usurper of Rune

Post by MDM73 »

Hi all. New member here. Was always a big fan of Ring of Darkness and Juxtaposition and was reading that there was a never released planned sequel to Juxtaposition called Usurper of Rune. Does anyone know what happened to this? Did it stall at concept stage or was the game written? It sounds a little like the Miremare story by Ultimate that never was released for the Spectrum but there's hope a copy will turn up at some point
pser1

Re: Wintersoft - Usurper of Rune

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
welcome to the group!
I have not seen that game in this list and it doesn't seem to exist for the Tandy CoCo.

Acording to Wikipedia:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The much anticipated Wintersoft game, Usurper of Rune, the sequel to Juxtaposition,
for the Dragon 32/64 was never released and no copy is known to exist.
However fans of the series still wait in hope that it may one day surface.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintersoft

cheers
pere
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hi, and welcome to the Archive!

As Pere pointed out, it is not known if the game was finished or if there is any development copy.

This is a difficult one, only the authors could provide any answer. But, that said, we managed to get a copy of 'White Cliffs of Dover', also thought to be lost, but released through mail order.

Cheers,
Rob
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Hello MDM73 and welcome to the forum.

The story I read (it may have been in a letter to Dragon User) was that John Humphreys had created a beta copy but was having difficulty reducing the size of the program to run on a Dragon 32. The person who wrote this didn't state his source or sources so I take the story with a pinch of salt.
MDM73

Post by MDM73 »

Hi all and thanks for the welcome and the replies. I suppose the next question is whether John Humphreys is a member of the forum and can answer whether that beta copy exists and if it could be run on a 64?
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Hi and welcome!

Well, I've exhausted my internet searching skills trying to track down either David or John from Wintersoft. I thought I was onto something here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVvgXzdK3M - scroll down and you'll see this comment from 'KineticEgg':
John Humphreys is my brother, and I was his tester, cassette packer, and envelope licker.. If any one completes 'Ring of Darkness', or 'Return of the Ring'.. I still have copies of the special poster and certificates of completion stashed away.. some parents just wont throw things away.. lol.. Give us a shout via YouTube, and you might get a surprise in your mail :)
Alas, his account no longer seems to be active, and I can't see a way of getting in touch (anyone here who knows Youtube better than I do? Have I missed something?). Anyone else have any leads?

Cheers, Tony
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

tjewell wrote:You'll see this comment from 'KineticEgg':
John Humphreys is my brother, and I was his tester, cassette packer, and envelope licker.. If any one completes 'Ring of Darkness', or 'Return of the Ring'.. I still have copies of the special poster and certificates of completion stashed away.. some parents just wont throw things away.. lol.. Give us a shout via YouTube, and you might get a surprise in your mail :)
Just on the off-chance that Mr. Humphreys ever reads this thread I'd like to say that I've finished both and would love to have the completion certificates. :)