Vintage Computer Festival, Zurich, 19-20 November

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
tormod

Vintage Computer Festival, Zurich, 19-20 November

Post by tormod »

An exclusive first announcement here on the Dragon forums!

We will organize a Vintage Computer Festival Europe in Zurich, Switzerland the 19-20th of November 2016. Other than having a date and venue there is no official programme yet, but telling from ourselves involved, here be Dragons of course :) And PDP-8, PiDP-8, various SBCs, Commodore, Apple Lisa, and hopefully a lot more will come along as we start promoting the event. I can assure you there will be FUZIX demoed on various Dragons and CoCos and whatnot...

I will follow up with more information as it develops. The location is "Rote Fabrik" (Wollishofen station) 9 minutes train from the main station or 27 minutes directly from the well-connected Zurich Airport... A great occasion to join a European and Dragon-heavy event ;)

Tormod
tormod

Re: Vintage Computer Festival, Zurich, 19-20 November

Post by tormod »

Our web site has now been launched! http://vcfe.ch

As you can see we already have a good number of exhibits and talks, but we are looking to have much more! We wouldn't mind having more Dragons :) I can focus my stand on FUZIX if there are more people to present the rest...
Rink

Post by Rink »

Looks cool! Doubt I'll be able to attend but the BBS stuff in particular really got my attention. I started on those, and loved them. This crappy Internet thing we're stuck with now isn't a patch on a good BBS.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Tormod,
good to know you are going to show the world our Dragon working with
that FUZZIX operating system.
I am sorry I cannot help you going there to show Dragon projects :-(
Hope someone who lives near Zurich could be of help!

best wishes
pere
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Oh, it's tempting - I could stick my collection of troublesome Dragons and their various peripherals in the back of the car and come over - Google says it's only a 10hr drive from here! :)

Don't count me in just yet - I'd need to sort childcare and stuff (somehow I don't think my 14yr old daughter wants to come!), but I'll see what I can do.

Tony
tormod

Re: Vintage Computer Festival, Zurich, 19-20 November (2016)

Post by tormod »

Hello!

I got silent here for a while, the organisation of the VCF last year took all my time, and after the event I was busy catching up with other stuff and lots of work.
vcfech2016_IMGP1417_1024.JPG
vcfech2016_IMGP1417_1024.JPG (257.92 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
Anyway, the VCF was a blast! We had more than 1000 visitors, many nice exhibitions and we all had a great time. We haven't gotten to post much photos and media coverage to our web site, but hopefully it will happen as we ramp up for this year's VCF (announcement to come as soon as the date is confirmed).

Here is the main setup that I demonstrated, a dual screen Dragon (plus virtual consoles!) running FUZIX. The 80-column card is the PBJ Wordpak prototype that Luis remade, and that a few of us have, and the virtual consoles were on the normal 6847 output (one lower-case in graphic mode and a couple of native text consoles). You can see the Spinx-512 card and the Wordpak sitting in the Tandy MPI.
vcf-setup.jpg
vcf-setup.jpg (52.35 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
A close up of the dual screens. Running "ls -l" in one window and "ps a" in another. Serious multitasking :geek:
vcf-dual-screen.jpg
vcf-dual-screen.jpg (71.42 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
As can be spotted on the big photo, another Dragon was running games and Flagon Bird in particular!
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello Tormod,
thanks for letting us know.
A big evenement and a big audience, too. Congrats!
Fuzix keeps alive and so your SPInx, this kind of expansion some of us are waiting to see announced on you web ...
Looking foward to hear about that in the near future.
cheers
pere
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Good to have you back Tormod! Fuzix got a lot of interest at the Dragon meet here in the Cambridge in June - I never tired of showing people how I could log into my Dragon from a remote terminal and run two things at once!

Cheers, Tony
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Nice pics!

Thanks for sharing. :)