another artifact question

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
drmarkb

another artifact question

Post by drmarkb »

Can anyone explain as to why some monochrome games artifact and some don't?
robcfg

Re: another artifact question

Post by robcfg »

Can you tell us a couple of examples so we can analyse them?

Also, I guess you are talking about NTSC artifacting, or do you mean also PAL color blending?
drmarkb

Post by drmarkb »

Yes, its a Dragon Tano as discussed in my post a couple of months back.

I use the monitor port and have tried several allegedly NTSC compatible TVs- there is the full green/purple (pink) artifacting on all of them with most games. The odd thing is I can't see it for Astroblast, Meteoroids, Berserk or Android Attack. The first 3 are cartridge games, not that that should make a difference. Space Wreck required me to hit the reset button to see it, but after doing so it worked and nearly all the other games I have tried were fully green/purple artifacted - Cashman, The King, Shocktrooper, Time Bandit and a fair few others.

All very peculiar to me, but I am no expert.
drmarkb

Post by drmarkb »

Update on this. I managed to get the above to show artifacting in the end- its all a matter of the reset button. After mucking about for a while with different leads and tvs I went back to hitting the reset button, but did it multiple times. Some of them required the reset button more than ten times to click in, but the artifacting is there. It is still a mystery to me as to why some games like the King always appear in colour (color!) without fiddling about, but as long as the game accepts a reset it all works fine.
Time Bandit and I think Cashman actually tell you to hit the reset button till it looks right, which I thought was a nice touch.