Tano Dragons

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
drmarkb

Tano Dragons

Post by drmarkb »

Can I ask how one would go about setting up a Tano dragon? I am sure I have read it before on here, but can't seem to find the threads.

Do you need a step down, or can a regular UK PSU work?
Do they have a monitor output socket at the back a la the UK Dragons? My current Dragon uses the monitor port and one of these-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dragon-32-64- ... XQqWNSJu0u. Would that fit a Tano (and would it artifact on an NTSC?).

Many thanks in advance.
robcfg

Re: Tano Dragons

Post by robcfg »

Hi!

As far as I know, you can safely use an european Dragon PSU with your Tano Dragon. Recently a friend of mine got an Eurohard Dragon 64 that has the same board as the Tano inside and a regular European Dragon PSU.

I've checked the Power Boards' pictures page, and the Tano boards have the monitor port, so yes, you can connect them and you should get your NTSC artifacting.
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

robcfg wrote:As far as I know, you can safely use an european Dragon PSU with your Tano Dragon.
I didn't know that?

Makes me want a lovely new 64k Tano Dragon. :D
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Even if that weren't true, a step down converter is the only thing that would be on your way of enjoying a lovely Tano Dragon, hehehe! :mrgreen:
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

I have got one of those "new" TANO Dragons. I am operating it either with its original black American 110 VAC brick, which is plugged into a cheap Amazon 230VAC to 110 VAC converter (BLANKO Model KXT-200) or directly with my white 230 VAC UK-Dragon-32 brick. Both are working fine.
Concerning Video Output: I'm using the same DIN-to-Scart Monitor cable for both computers. NTSC appears b&w on my old PAL-TV-sets. Only the newer models can switch between PAL and NTSC mode.
-Rolo
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

An NTSC machine isn't ideal, (living in a PAL territory), but I like the idea of a new 64k backup machine in case my D32 fails.

And they're only $49+shipping! :D
drmarkb

Post by drmarkb »

Thanks guys.
I have two New Tano in America- picked em up a couple of years back, but shipping was a bit prohibitive and the guy who picked them up for me is a bit disorganised. I have another incoming from a more reliable source (I hope). If I ever get the other two over here cheaply I will offer one here at cost. Just too tempting to have them out there all unloved and unopened. :(

My first ever Dragon games were Lunar Rover Patrol (Dragon data release, cassette tape with "reduced price" on the front, not the video case), Adventure Trilogy and Defense, I can still recall Christmas morning with LRP. I guess that sounds like a reasonable place to start a new one with. Well maybe not Adventure Trilogy. ;)
Either that or I might raid the archive for educational software and get my daughter (5) involved.
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

The new Tano Dragon even comes with a cassette tape full of thrilling programs :o!
You'll don't know what to do first. For sure!
:D
munkeyboy

Post by munkeyboy »

I hope that they arrive for you soon, as opening a new Dragon takes you right back to opening one in the 80's :D
As has been mentioned on this forum before, be careful as you open the end flaps of the box as they tear very easily.

Gareth
drmarkb

Post by drmarkb »

Thanks. And after a small wait (30 years) I have another Dragon. It works !!!!
The artifact colours are really not what I was expecting. I have seen screenshots of artifacted colours before- a blue, an orange/brown. etc. What I am seeing are really vivid green and pinks on a black background. Very nice, but a bit of a shock.