Help please

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
norris

Help please

Post by norris »

Help required with downloading Xroar and CAS files please.

I thought there might be a guide on here?

What I would like to know now that I have a working Dragon is how to download games and play them on the Dragon rather than PC.

The un-zip programs and CAS tools I’ve tried to use have issues or there’s a problem during downloading and I haven’t found a tutorial on YouTube.

Thanks.
Alastair

Re: Help please

Post by Alastair »

I'm a little confused, do you have a problem running XRoar or is your problem transferring programs from your PC to a Dragon?

If it is the latter and you are attempting to load cassette programs then the first thing you need is a wave file of the program. There are a number available in the archive and in the Uploads forum. (XRoar and other programs can convert .CAS files to wave files, but let's first concentrate of getting an already existing wave file loaded onto your Dragon.)

Next you need a program to play the wave file, the recommended program is Audacity as mentioned elsewhere on the forum. You can use whichever release version you want although the latest versions are far larger than 1.2.6 in file size.

Finally treat your PC as a cassette recorder and connect the Dragon's cassette input jack plug to the headphone or audio out socket of your PC. Now load the wave file into Audacity, type CLOAD or CLOADM on your Dragon, and press play in Audacity. The program should now load, although just like a cassette recorder you may need to adjust the volume for the program to load properly. Remember that there will be no remote control of Audacity so be ready to pause playback if this is needed.
norris

Post by norris »

7 zip seems to be working but all I get from trying to load Xroar is this-
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (104.45 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
norris

Post by norris »

I can undestand using the pc as a tape recorder but its the Xroar that is causing problems.
I also need a CAS to WAV tool that works without any issues as most of the games are in CAS file format.
Can a WAV file been played without an emulator/driver/converter tool?
norris

Post by norris »

Alastair wrote:I'm a little confused, do you have a problem running XRoar or is your problem transferring programs from your PC to a Dragon?

If it is the latter and you are attempting to load cassette programs then the first thing you need is a wave file of the program. There are a number available in the archive and in the Uploads forum. (XRoar and other programs can convert .CAS files to wave files, but let's first concentrate of getting an already existing wave file loaded onto your Dragon.)

Next you need a program to play the wave file, the recommended program is Audacity as mentioned elsewhere on the forum. You can use whichever release version you want although the latest versions are far larger than 1.2.6 in file size.

Finally treat your PC as a cassette recorder and connect the Dragon's cassette input jack plug to the headphone or audio out socket of your PC. Now load the wave file into Audacity, type CLOAD or CLOADM on your Dragon, and press play in Audacity. The program should now load, although just like a cassette recorder you may need to adjust the volume for the program to load properly. Remember that there will be no remote control of Audacity so be ready to pause playback if this is needed.
Thanks
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

norris wrote:7 zip seems to be working but all I get from trying to load Xroar is this-
Looks like you don't have the BASIC ROMs around.
norris

Post by norris »

sixxie wrote:
norris wrote:7 zip seems to be working but all I get from trying to load Xroar is this-
Looks like you don't have the BASIC ROMs around.
Where do yo get those from?
Thanks
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

From our Downloads section.

Download Dragon 64 IC17 and IC18 (for example), and unzip them into your XRoar folder.

Optionally, you may want to use disk software, so you'll need a disk controller rom like DragonDOS 4.0, put it on the XRoar folder, and that's it.
norris

Post by norris »

robcfg wrote:From our Downloads section.

Download Dragon 64 IC17 and IC18 (for example), and unzip them into your XRoar folder.

Optionally, you may want to use disk software, so you'll need a disk controller rom like DragonDOS 4.0, put it on the XRoar folder, and that's it.
Thanks chuckie egg is running fine on my laptop!
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Glad to know you got it working, enjoy!