DragonMMC

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
prime

DragonMMC

Post by prime »

Hi all,

I recently took delivery of the prototype boards for the DragonMMC Mk2.0, one of these has been built and tested and works correctly with the current firmware.

Currently this firmware supports :

Loading a CAS** file from the SD card as if loading from tape, though obviously it loads much quicker.
Loading a ROM file into the RAM on the card at $C000, and optionally auto-starting it, this allows cartridge images to be loaded.
Loading and saving Basic / machine code direct to files on the FAT filesystem, these are save in the same format that DragonDOS uses.
Optional SuperDOS emulation is currently partially working I need to shake out some of the bugs in this.

** CAS files have to be corectly bit / byte aligned for the patched Basic ROM to be able to read them correctly.

So is there anything else people would like adding to the firmware?

A short description of the hardware may be in order as this will help people know what it is capable of....

The cartridge currently has a Flash ROM, 32K static RAM, a CPLD programable logic chip and an AVR Microcontroller that does the interface to the SD card.
The reason for the RAM is that the logic in the CPLD can be used to disable the onboard ROM (having first copied them into the RAM), this allows patches to the ROMs to be made without having to have a whole copy of the ROM on the card. It also enables the loading of CART ROMS.

I may also be looking for a couple of people to act as testers for the interface, Ideally someone who will try using the device and give feedback on what is / is not working and help me shake out some of the bugs :)

Whilst we are on the Subject of DOS emulation I know there have been some fixes done to DragonDOS recently, if this is the case, have these now made DragonDOS more reliable / bugfixed than SuperDOS ?

Cheers.

Phill.
robcfg

Re: DragonMMC

Post by robcfg »

Hi Phill!

This sounds really good and I wouldn't mind testing such device.

I know some games that can be tricky and would be nice to test them in case they need to be patched for them to load with DragonMMC.

Cheers,
Rob
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Oh great stuff - well, obviously, I'd love to help you with some testing, but I'm sure you'll get inundated with requests too. My Dragon knowledge is pretty good, but I'the technology behind your board is akin to magic, as far as I'm concerned! So if you want more technical people to test it that's fine, just put me down for a production version :)

As I understand how this works, it should be able to load almost anything in a CAS file as if it were a tape, regardless of how complicated the loader and/or copy protection is, making it pretty much the holy grail for those of us who use their Dragon's mostly for loading games from tape images. Very exciting!

Tony
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Phill,
very cool project indeed.
Please, put me down for one production unit.

I am interested in it, so I would gladly help by testing or whatever I could do ...
Fortunately I am retired so I can manage a bit better my time ;-)

Just one question ... Most of the tapes were easily dumped to disk and they worked fine, sometimes with a
program that disables the DOS before executing them.

The problem begins when the tape has more than just one bunch of data, being one of them a special loader.
If it relays on the Basic to do the loading, It would be 'intercepted' and the card should give it the requested
data but if it is not the case then it will read the cassette input ... unfortunately. I hope these are just a few
'rare' cases.
Another problem could be the protection schemes based on errors on the data on the tape.
Will these errors arise as well when getting the data from the MMC?

cheers
pere

Ps I tried to use the Dragon DOS when programming my extender for Drivewire and I had lots of problems.
Finally I found that DOSPlus5.0 (or 4.9b) did work flawlessly despite probably not 100% compatible, just 99.99% ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5363
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Is DragonMMC restricted to emulating just one version of DOS or could it have several which a user can swap between?

Pere has done the most work in examining the various DOSes, alongside his DOSplus recommendation may I also point out his v. 1.3 DragonDOS ROMs, should greater DragonDOS compatibility be needed.

Also, when loading .CAS files how will a DragonMMC cope with a copy protected version of Buzzard Bait and the infamous dongle?
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

As Buzzard Bait relies on the time between blocks, and DragonMMC is intented to load cas files as fast as possible, it will not work if you try to load it using your original dongle.

To be fair, I don't think there is any copy protected Dragon game that hasn't been cracked, so I don't think it would be a problem.
chrispoacher

Post by chrispoacher »

I have a cracked version of Buzzard Bait in a.cas file that should work fine as it doesnt require the dongle. :)
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

chrispoacher wrote:I have a cracked version of Buzzard Bait in a.cas file that should work fine as it doesnt require the dongle. :)
Chris, my comment wasn't about obtaining a cracked version of Buzzard Bait (after all the archive holds a copy) it was instead a suggestion for testing Phill's DragonMMC, in a 'let's suggest something that no-one in their right mind would actually do if they were really using a DragonMMC' sort of way.
Stig

Post by Stig »

Very exciting :)

Will it have support of standard .vdk files and work like a floppy drive ?

Thanks