Orchestra-90 CC

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
pser1

Re: Orchestra-90 CC

Post by pser1 »

@Ciaran
The CAS2WAV.EXE doesn't give any error message processing the JMPMFL.CAS
but the resultant WAV doesn't load properly in XRoar with Orchestra90cc

Is there any way of making XRoar return an error code to the batch command that has called it?
That way with
if %errorlevel% neq 0 PAUSE
I could have the time to write down the offwending file and go on

cheers
pere
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

Hi Pere,

I actually used cas2wav to try out the axelf2 file on real hardware. It's simple but effective. It will convert anything to a wav file so is handy for experimenting with custom formats. On the other hand it won't tell you if there is something wrong with the cas file.

This example will create a single channel 8 bit 22khz wav:

cas2wav.exe -r22050 infile.cas outfile.wav

The resulting wav responds very well to file compression as it contains the same 0 and 1 patterns repeated many times.
Stew
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Thanks a lot, Stew
that's good to know for next bacth process ...
There is a way to find out problems:
The WAV files use to be 55-75 times the CAS file, so small files are error candidates.
I have converted all of the files to WAV format using XRoar while reading an interesting book!

Anyway I have found TWO files that converted wrongly to CAS format, and didn't load into XRoar with the
I/O ERROR message, so we should have to find out what is happening with them, and then Tony could patch the perl script ...
In the attached zip you will find these two files in the three formats: ASC, CAS and WAV

cheers
pere
Attachments
IO ERROR.ZIP
(13.73 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

I'm onto it! Let's see if we can get to 100% converted! Well done on all your hard work getting them converted Pere ...
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Tony,
my part has been just brute force.
The important part is on your side. Without the script I would not have begun that work ...
I am going to compare the ASC-CAS files.
To me having 2446 out of 2448 is simply extra! We have just a 0,1% of error cases, not thta bad!

cheers
pere
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Alas, it looks like we might have to live without that last 0.08%! I think both files are corrupted.

JMPFML.ASC looks okay at first glance, but there's a non-7bit ascii character at byte 674 (a 7F). If I delete it, and the lines either side, it will load - but it won't compile. There's lots of spurious and unexpected characters.

HAMGEMHI.ASC almost doesn't look like an ASC file. There's stuff I do recognise as score format, but there's no newlines or carriage returns, lots of 8bit characters and the comments are oddly at the end. Don't know where to start with this one.

Still, it's great stuff we've got as many converted as we have!
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Tony,

you are right, these files are wrong, so that means your script has scored 100% correct conversions!
The HAMGEMHI.ASC has lost the header and probably more bytes after it. So it is of no use. Let's forget about that one.
Concerning the JMPFML.ASC, it has a strange combination of bytes:
$0D, $7F, $0D that don't seem to make sense ... I will have a look later because now I have to leave.
I think that we must forget about both files, so I will compress the other 2446 and upload them in this thread.

cheers
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello all,
I have finished converting and converting and ....
Now we have 2446 scores to load and listen to.
No doubt that there is going to be more than one with score errors, but anyway they have converted without
showing any error, so just get them and hunt for a bad file!
Right now I am attaching a zip file that contains all of the scores in the CAS format and a txt file with
the whole list folder by folder.
These can only be used in XRoar with the Orchestra90cc cartridge. I don't know if there is any other
emulator that supports Orchestra too.
Hope you have fun listening to them.

cheers
pere
Attachments
CASList.zip
The whole files list
(20.16 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Scores - CAS files.zip
2446 CAS files to listen to!
(3.61 MiB) Downloaded 168 times
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Great work!

Thanks to you and tjewell!
pser1

Post by pser1 »

UPLOADING ORCHESTRA-90 CC WAV FILES - PART 1

OK,
now I am going to upload the same CAS files converted into WAV files.
These ones would load in XRoar too, but are intended to be used with a real CoCo or Dragon
with the Orchestra-90 CC cartridge connected.
You should use the tape input and any audio program in your PC/Mac to play them.

As the files are much bigger, despite zipping them, I have limited the size of each zip file to
aprox. 5-6Mb.
I have seven files to upload, so I am planning to create seven posts being this the first.
Any admin could let me know the zip amount limit per post?
thanks in advance!

cheers
pere
Attachments
Orchestra-90 CC - Scores - WAV files - A to B.zip
(4.89 MiB) Downloaded 174 times