Converting large files with DC

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Alastair

Converting large files with DC

Post by Alastair »

Short of splitting large multi-part programs such as Mystery of the Java Star into separate parts, is there any way of enabling DC to convert large files? I'm particularly interested in the CAS to WAV conversion.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Converting large files with DC

Post by admin »

No, the limit is hard coded :(

There is a cas2wav tool in the downloads area written in perl - if you download perl for windows (or use a linux machine) you can use that as a commandline tool to convert to WAV...

Alternatively, the source code for DC.EXE might be made available if the author uploads it here......(assuming it is still available).
Simon Hardy
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I know of other conversion methods but I'm working on the premise that if a real Dragon can read a wave file created by DC.EXE then the CAS file must be decent. ;)
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I'm working on a tool similar to DC.EXE and I have some success, but it still need some work. Stay tuned! :mrgreen:
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I was thinking similar thoughts! :lol:

The original Dragon Convert for MS-DOS is unfortunately limited to a single segment for its file buffer (64 kb; or more accurately $FFF0 bytes since one paragraph is required by the C runtime). It does use huge pointers, so might actually work across multiple segments if more memory is allocated but I can't remember whether or not I tested that... my largest CAS file is only 59 kb!

Anyway, I had a quick play and made the attached Windows (.NET) application which might help. It's very basic but seems to be functioning okay with the few files I've tried.
Attachments
dcwin01.zip
Dragon Convert for Windows
(6.25 KiB) Downloaded 223 times