Joysticks..

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Rink

Joysticks..

Post by Rink »

Hi there,

Does anyone know the electrical characteristics of the Dragon joysticks?

The most I've been able to learn so far is that it's a typical 5v supply to the joystick, and that BASIC reports ranges of 0-63 (31 as a centrepoint) on the x and y axis. I'm not really sure how the Dragon's Analogue->Digital converters work here - for example, whether 0v on x = far left, 2.5v = centre, 5v = right or whatever. :?

Not many of the things kicking around for sale at the minute, so I was just going to build some kind of adapter.

Cheers guys.
rolfmichelsen

Re: Joysticks..

Post by rolfmichelsen »

You can find the schematics for the Dragon joysticks in the booklet Information for Machine Code Users. You'll find a PDF version in this forum post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=156

It is pretty easy to build an adapter to use a switching joystick with the Dragon. I did so myself back in the 80s. I can probably dig out some schematics if needed.

-- Rolf
Rink

Post by Rink »

Nice one mate. Hadn't seen that booklet before and aside from the joystick stuff, there's a few other bits of info in there I'm glad I now know. :-)

I should be ok schematic/design wise, but if you come across any, I'd definitely say post it. If it isn't immediatiately useful to me then no doubt it will be useful for someone.
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

This is a pretty good design from Hot CoCo (June 1984). This is a relatively simple to build interface for switching joysticks that even provide "autofire" functionality. The ICs are pretty standard and easy to obtain even today. There are some minor mistakes in the figures, and it might just be possible to see my penciled corrections (authentic from 1984 :-))

Anyone know if there is a repository of scanned Hot CoCo issues anywhere?

-- Rolf
Attachments
Atari Joystick Interface.zip
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 229 times
briza

Post by briza »

rolfmichelsen wrote:This is a pretty good design from Hot CoCo (June 1984). This is a relatively simple to build interface for switching joysticks that even provide "autofire" functionality. The ICs are pretty standard and easy to obtain even today. There are some minor mistakes in the figures, and it might just be possible to see my penciled corrections (authentic from 1984 :-))

Anyone know if there is a repository of scanned Hot CoCo issues anywhere?

-- Rolf
G'Day Rolf.

There is some Hot coco Mags online, Here is a Link to quite a few copies online :)

ftp://maltedmedia.com/coco/MAGAZINES/Hot%20CoCo/

laters

Briza
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

Thanks. Will be fun leafing through these old rags again :-)