XRoar 0.33 released

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

XRoar 0.33 released

Post by sixxie »

After a false start where I noticed everything broke between machine switches, 0.33.1 is out!

http://www.6809.org.uk/xroar/

Not much behaviour change since the snapshots except the Dragon 32 IRQ fixes (passes Stewart's tmgtest 1.3).

Mac builds may be forthcoming, but they'll take a while - my access to a modern-ish macos is limited now.
Bosco

Re: XRoar 0.33 released

Post by Bosco »

Cool! :D

Thanks Ciaran.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Ciaran,
thanks a lot for improving XRoar!
I work on a Windows machine, and I find the combination ASM6809 - XRoar - GDB a very usefull developing tool for our Dragons.

Have a nice week-end

cheers
pere
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

Just to echo what has already been said: Many thanks Ciaran, the effort you put into getting xroar spot-on is greatly appreciated!
Stew
Iksarfighter

Post by Iksarfighter »

TY for this emulator !
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Ciaran,
yesterday I downloaded XRoar v0.33.2 snapshot 29003
I just copied all the files and folders I was using with previous snapshot, so apparently no changes done.
But now I am unable to attach a disc with the shortcut CTRL+[1-2-3-4]. This doesn't work anymore for me.
Using the menus with the mouse works, but ...
The manual still says this would work, so what am I doing wrong?
Has anything to be changed in the config file?

thanks in advance

cheers
pere

PS. more on that ...
Ctrl+Z doesn't work and the emulation begins treating the PC Keyboard as a normal Dragon Keyboard.
The menu Keyboard / Translation does not help
The Hardware keyboard map doesn't solve it neither ...
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

tl;dr: Windows snapshot is broken, I hope to fix it but for now stick to stable.

Yeah, very much a work in progress to transition to SDL2. Version 2 definitely handles video better (and you can open multiple windows, which might be useful), but it screws up the keyboard handling: you can get a scancode based on key position (good - no need to get the user to specify their keymap to approximate Dragon layout), but the only keyboard symbol information provided is for the unshifted key - which means no proper "translated" mode. It has a "text entry" event you can select for, but that information is dissociated from the keypress events - no good for an emulator.

This means I will have to add platform-specific code to work around the platform-agnostic toolkit.

I've mostly written the workaround code for X11 (which also has a bigger problem: it ignores your own mappings for modifier keys, so my Caps Lock key ended up generating Caps Lock of all things), but have yet to start on the Windows equivalent.

I think it's probably worth it: the video code does become a lot simpler (though again complicated - and in different ways - by the addition of a menubar in Windows). I think the SDL2 audio API has a buffering mode that might mean I can drop a lot of threading code, too.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello Ciaran,

Thanks for answering so fast.
Maybe I shouldn't have downloaded it yet, but as it was there since July, 2nd, I dared to try it out.
I am using the older version, no problem at all for me.

As soon as you upload a new snapshot, I will make some tests with it.
Thanks for working to get even better this wonderful emulator!!

cheers
pere
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I've done a bit more work, adding OS-specific code for translated keyboard support. The X11 code now works very well for me including AltGr shifts ("ISO_Level3_Shift" or "Mode_switch", e.g., for "Ñ" on the Dragon 200-E).

I have some code in for Windows too, but I can't test it very well. I'd reckon it's fine for normal shifted characters, but I'd have to get access to a proper Windows install to get AltGr shifts working - there's an attempt at it in there, but I suspect it doesn't work!

So - new snapshot available! Still primarily focussed on migrating to SDL 2. Let me know if everything still sucks ;)
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Ciaran,
I have downloaded this last snapshot (2015-33179 w64) and tried it with two different DOS versions (DosPlus5.0 and DDOS11C, and with drivewire files via Becker Port.
No problems so long.
It translates well the keyboard and CTRl+1/2 work OK and Ctrl+Z too.
I have tested then the Dragon200E emulation and haven't found any problem.
I will keep this snapshot working in my Windows7, in case any problem arises I will comment it here in this thread

Thanks a lot for this new version :!:

cheers
pere