Printer options ?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Stig

Printer options ?

Post by Stig »

Hi folks,

I would like to get an old school printer to compliment my Dragon setup but not sure where to start.

I know the Dragon's printer port is parallel centronics but not even sure which cable I need to buy for a start. If I search on ebay for centronics printer cable, looking at the pictures of the results, they don't even look like they will fit the Dragon's port.

Will any parallel dot matrix printer work with the Dragon or do I need to be looking for something in particular ?

Sorry for all the questions but at a loss on where to start here

Regards

John
munkeyboy

Re: Printer options ?

Post by munkeyboy »

Hi John,

I use an Epson LX80 with my Dragon and it works a treat (as well as any dot matrix can).

Dragon User ran quite a few articles on compatible printers.

If no one else already has a picture or diagram of the printer cable that they can upload then I will try and take a picture of mine in a few days.

All the best with your search

Gareth
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Nice!

When you upload your pictures, I'll be creating a nice diagram, like the floppy cable one.
Stig

Post by Stig »

munkeyboy wrote:Hi John,

I use an Epson LX80 with my Dragon and it works a treat (as well as any dot matrix can).

Dragon User ran quite a few articles on compatible printers.

If no one else already has a picture or diagram of the printer cable that they can upload then I will try and take a picture of mine in a few days.

All the best with your search

Gareth
Hey Gareth, thanks for your reply mate. I would be very grateful of some pictures of your printer cable as it will help me find one online. I had a search for the Epson LX80 printer and they seem to be quite rare and expensive (on ebay at least), what I would really like is a Centronics to Parallel cable then hopefully pick up a compatible Parallel printer for not too much money. I will have a browse through the Dragon user issues online here and see what I can learn from there.

I didn't get in to computers until around 2000, so I've only ever used a USB printer LOL. I did own a Dragon as a kid but I only ever played games on it back then :)

Thanks again
robcfg wrote:Nice!

When you upload your pictures, I'll be creating a nice diagram, like the floppy cable one.
Will look forward to your diagram Rob !
munkeyboy

Post by munkeyboy »

There are no twists in the cable, but there is a single space on the ribbon at the printer end
Dragon printer cable.jpg
Dragon printer cable.jpg (26.76 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
Dragon printer cable 2.jpg
Dragon printer cable 2.jpg (23.28 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
Stig

Post by Stig »

Thanks for the pictures Gareth ! Will help a lot when purchasing or making one :)
munkeyboy

Post by munkeyboy »

I have just connected my Star LC-200 printer that I use with my A500 (I bought the LC-200 in about 1990 to use with my Amiga, but have never tried it on my Dragon until today :? ) and it worked perfectly using the cable as shown in this thread.