Bomber Baron

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Rink

Bomber Baron

Post by Rink »

Does anyone know if a version of Bomber Baron was ever released on the Dragon? It used to drive me crazy as a kid (on the Acorn Electron) and I'd be shocked if someone hadn't written a clone of this (assuming this wasn't a clone itself).

If noone has, I just might.

daftspaniel

Re: Bomber Baron

Post by daftspaniel »

Is the games object to flatten the city to land safely?

There is a game like this in the book 'The Power Of The Dragon' called 'City Bomber'.

It is text screen game - looking at the listing it is quite short. I'll try and type it in if you like?

Cheers,
Davy
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Datacom Publications released a compilation tape containing eight (IIRC) games, one of which was a variation on the "bomb a city to land your aircraft" game - look for "air assault (1984)(datacom publications)[!].zip" at http://archive.worldofdragon.org/archiv ... ragon/cas/
Rink

Post by Rink »

Cheers Alastair, I just gave that a whirl and it is the same sort of game. Nice one.

Unfortunately, it's not very good :-) But I added some basic info to the Wiki anyway - http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... ir_Assault - will write something else about it a little later.

Davy, I'd be curious to see how well the one you found works. If you want to just scan the listing, I could type it in if you like - I wouldn't expect you to go through all that just for me.
daftspaniel

Post by daftspaniel »

Here you go ;)

Only 45 lines so typed it in at lunchtime. I remember it being one of the better games from the books.

I'd be interested in what you think of this version - may attempt a PMODE3/3 rewrite. Depends how my 6809 learning is going :D

Loads and runs fine on XROAR.

Have fun!
Davy
citybomber.txt.zip
City Bomber ASCII listing
(847 Bytes) Downloaded 221 times
Rink

Post by Rink »

Cheers mate. I've been away for a few days so not had a chance to try this yet but wanted to post and say thank you.
Rink

Post by Rink »

Ah, that's more like it!!! Nice find mate.

In case anyone else wants to give this a try but doesn't want to type it in , here's a .cas file. CLOAD "CITYBOMB"
The only change I made was to line 1020 to move the city scape a little to the left - hopefully I typed the rest in correctly. :D

Great game.
Attachments
CITYBOMB.CAS
(3 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
daftspaniel

Post by daftspaniel »

Thanks for uploading the CAS!

XRoar can load straight from the Text File tho (Ctrl + Shift +L) :D I code in Notepad++ and load into XRoar. Can't code with copy paste etc!

My eldest son quite enjoyed playing it - good mix of reaction timing and visuals.

Cheers
Davy
Rink

Post by Rink »

What? DOH! :roll:

Lol. Good job it wasn't a longer listing. :lol:
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

You can do conversions between TXT/BAS and CAS using DC.EXE too! ;)