WHOOPS ! (oh not not him again)

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
rolfmichelsen

Re: WHOOPS ! (oh not not him again)

Post by rolfmichelsen »

I actually have the JCB speech synthesis cartridge (with manual) lying around somewhere. I can try to dig it out and get the manual properly scanned etc etc etc.

--- Rolf
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Great!

If it has a rom could you dump it? If you don't have a programmer, save it via CSAVEM and I can extract it.
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

I've started the wiki page and linked the scanned manual. It seems like the cartridge itself has been misplaced somewhere. I saw it just weeks ago so it's probably ended up in one of my several "misc boxes". I'll see if I can recover it and get pictures, dumps, the works...

--- Rolf
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

This is great!

On the CPCWiki, we extracted the allophone data some time ago for emulating SPO256 devices used on Amstrad machines. If it's of interest, I can dig them out. I know Ciaran is a busy man, but this is another cartridge that would be nice to have emulated :mrgreen:
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Found them!

Here you'll find the dumped allophones, and I would recommend reading the whole thread as it is full with useful information for emulating the SPO256 chip.

Regards,
Rob
simon

Post by simon »

*IF* this speech cartridge is *ANYTHING* like the tandy SSC then it has a PIC chip in front of the SPO/AY.....

if thats the case, then I have a listing of whats inside that PIC 7040

/Simon :-)
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

My guess is that as the AY one, this will have simple address decoding, the SPO chip and the rom for the basic commands.
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

No need to speculate, guys. I found the cartridge and will pry it apart tomorrow.

--- Rolf
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Cool! Looking forward to see the mistery solved :mrgreen:
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

Pictures, ROM dump and a brief speech sample (!) added to the wiki. The pictures are of relatively poor quality. I might take new ones one of these days. Liberal amounts of glue have gone into the construction of this cartridge so I was unable to pry the PCB out of the casing. We'll see if I can muster the courage to do a somewhat bolder attempt at liberating the PCB later.

Sorry, Simon, for messing up your thread with barely on topic discussions. As always, great work on the software player with astonishing results!

-- Rolf