Cool display hack

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sorchard

Cool display hack

Post by sorchard »

This is for fans of display hacks...

I discovered it while playing around with the well known 'munching squares' algorithm. I find it strangely compelling because it rewards you with some surprisingly intricate patterns if you keep watching.
Attachments
msquares.zip
(232 Bytes) Downloaded 177 times
Stew
sixxie

Re: Cool display hack

Post by sixxie »

You feel like you want to land on some of those and investigate...
CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo »

Nice. I saw some patterns that look exactly like a few of my ties...
Have you tried it in color mode?
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

I've had a go at making a colour version. I found it pretty hard to control the colour in a way that preserves the effect of the mono version and doesn't degenerate into a noisy mess. I'll play with it a little more to see if it can be improved...

I've also included an updated mono version that has a centred plot and different start point to get to the more complex patterns quicker.

Edit: Visual chewing gum now available as a three pack... I've added an alternative colour version :)
Attachments
msqr.zip
(689 Bytes) Downloaded 170 times
Stew
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

They're great! :D

I've not heard of `munching squares' before.
CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo »

Nice work! I think adding color gives it more depth and a cool 3D feeling.
It often looks like something interesting is taking shape there, only to be demolished a second or two later...
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

I'm starting to prefer the colour version too. The mono version is nice and sharp but the colour one does indeed have a 3D look to it. To me it kind of looks like massively speeded up construction of roads, bridges and curious buildings. Then again I have been staring at these for far too long and may need help :lol:

I may have been playing fast and loose with the phrase 'well known'. Munching Squares is relatively well known as far as computer generated visual effects go, but hasn't entered the public consciousness in the same way as say, fractals. I haven't seen anything quite like this variation though. I've been searching to see if there is any mathematical description of it but no luck so far.

Hmmm 3D... That's got me thinking. If there is some way of converting these images into height maps then we could view them in 3D.

Incidentally this is how games don't get written... too many distractions!
Stew
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

sorchard wrote:..this is how games don't get written... too many distractions!
Sometimes, and then again there are those games that grew out a cool bit of technical wizardy. :)
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

sorchard wrote:To me it kind of looks like massively speeded up construction of roads, bridges and curious buildings. Then again I have been staring at these for far too long and may need help :lol:
The accidental isometric 3D effect of the colour version reminds me of A-Train, so it's not just you.