Dragon Setup

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Bosco

Dragon Setup

Post by Bosco »

Hi.

I bought a cheap Dragon 32 recently, eagerly hooked it up to a CRT TV, (via an old RF cable), and tried loading a WAV from my Android tablet. Unfortunately this didn't work, although why I'm not sure. I tried loading at different volume settings but the Dragon didn't appear to be picking up an audio signal. I checked I was using the correct jack. I guess it could just be a faulty cassette tape lead? It is pretty ancient.

So before I start buying replacement cables etc, I wondered how other users have their Dragons setup for the 21st century?

Is anyone successfully loading WAVs from a tablet/media player?

Also I've seen Dragon `5Din to SCART' TV leads available. Should I get one of these or is there something better?

Cheers,
Bosco.
sixxie

Re: Dragon Setup

Post by sixxie »

I feed tape audio from the headphone socket of a netbook all the time. But I've fed such audio from many computers - it's never been a problem.

Well, it has been a problem, because I use Linux, and Mr. Poettering has conned lots of people into accepting a really horrible and variable experience - especially if you use Um-Bongo, it's basically a coin toss as to which of Pulse or ALSA (which is directed through Pulse, yet somehow exhibits different characteristics) will work properly - but that's a rant not relevant here... ;)

In general, audio out from a PC should be fine. Is it possible your tablet is screwing with the audio somehow? Maybe capture some into a PC using Audacity and see if the waveform looks right.
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Hi sixxie.

Sounds like it should work then. I'll play about with it some more.

How about video? What kind of display/connection is your Dragon using?
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

At the moment, a small LCD television - a fairly old Philips one. Does an ok job, although it rounds the edges of the pixels in a rather odd manner.
jedie

Post by jedie »

Bosco wrote:How about video? What kind of display/connection is your Dragon using?
See here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4875
... too many ideas and too little time ... Related stuff written in Python:
Dragon 32 emulator / PyDC - Python Dragon 32 converter: https://github.com/jedie/DragonPy
DWLOAD server / Dragon-Lib and other stuff: https://github.com/6809
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Cool, thanks for the info.

Just noticed Retro Computer Shack sell composite video A/V leads for the Dragon. Should do the trick. :)
drmarkb

Post by drmarkb »

Exactly what I use for mine, from the same company.
Works really well on a 1990's portable, but also really fine with a modern 26 flats screen TV too, if you adjust the TV's settings as they will probably be miles out.

As for audio, I use........cassette tape. :lol: I have the dragon set up in a room without a PC (I call it the Dragon Suite, the wife calls it the spare bedroom!).
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

I call it the Dragon Suite, the wife calls it the spare bedroom!
Made me chuckle. :D
tormod

Post by tormod »

For display solutions, these threads can also be interesting:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4276 Hello from another new member
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=518 Dragon and VGA Monitor
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4712 Connecting a Dragon to a vga monitor.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4603 Has anyone any monitor recommendations?
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Cool, thanks for the links. :D