Best Pac-man game for Dragon

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
retrofreak

Best Pac-man game for Dragon

Post by retrofreak »

So guys, as I'm back into Dragon gaming in a BIG way (after Real Life tm took precedence), what's the best Pac-Man clone for Dragon in your opinion?
sixxie

Re: Best Pac-man game for Dragon

Post by sixxie »

Racer Ball is pretty decent (if you look through archives of CoCo games, you'll find the exact same code has had various facelifts, some more "Pac Man" than others). ISTR it getting quite hard around level 3 though - the power pills wear off almost immediately.

I quite like the BASIC (plus helper M/C) "Flee!", not because it's a fantastic Pac Man, but because it's pretty neat for BASIC and shows off a video mode that doesn't get much use.
retrofreak

Post by retrofreak »

Thanks for the reply, Sixxie. Racer Ball is pretty cool, although I noticed strange behavior when playing. When moving along the bottom middle of the maze I suddenly re-appeared at the TOP of the maze. Is this an issue or by design? I didn't see anything at the bottom of the maze to suggest this should happen.

Also, could you maybe point me in the direction of any CoCo II archives? I've found plenty for the model 1 and 3, but not 2.

Thanks again.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Heh, no, it's a feature. If you hold down fire while moving through that point, you don't teleport.

Don't know about a proper archive, but there's a catalogue of mini reviews here: http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/coco_game_list.html

Also, the "CoCo 2" isn't the same as "Model 2" - the TRS-80 Model X was a Z80 based series.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Going through the list of games on my "Arcade" disks, I could spot a few names that are very likely to be more Pac-Man clones, though not necessarily that "brilliant":

Cyclops
Gobbler
Mega-Bug
Pac-Tac 2
Pacdroids
Pattipak
Yellow Gobblers

... but I'm afraid you'll need to try those to find out how good they actually are!

Kind regards,
Lionel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

retrofreak wrote:Thanks for the reply, Sixxie. Racer Ball is pretty cool, although I noticed strange behavior when playing. When moving along the bottom middle of the maze I suddenly re-appeared at the TOP of the maze. Is this an issue or by design? I didn't see anything at the bottom of the maze to suggest this should happen.

Also, could you maybe point me in the direction of any CoCo II archives? I've found plenty for the model 1 and 3, but not 2.

Thanks again.
There isn't really an "archive" of CoCo 2 stuff online anymore - bits and bobs here and their. I do have an extensive set of CoCo 2 stuff (much larger than the TOSEC collection) and may add it to the downloads section of this site soon.
Simon Hardy
retrofreak

Post by retrofreak »

admin wrote:There isn't really an "archive" of CoCo 2 stuff online anymore - bits and bobs here and their. I do have an extensive set of CoCo 2 stuff (much larger than the TOSEC collection) and may add it to the downloads section of this site soon.
That would be truly awesome :D. Especially considering - as you pointed out and I've since discovered - there's bugger all on line anywhere.
retrofreak

Post by retrofreak »

snarkhunter wrote:Going through the list of games on my "Arcade" disks, I could spot a few names that are very likely to be more Pac-Man clones, though not necessarily that "brilliant":

Cyclops
Gobbler
Mega-Bug
Pac-Tac 2
Pacdroids
Pattipak
Yellow Gobblers

... but I'm afraid you'll need to try those to find out how good they actually are!

Kind regards,
Lionel
Mmm...looks like I've got some "research" to conduct. Thanks, matey :D
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

randomrodder's site has a few collections, I just remembered: http://tandycoco.com/rsdos.html

I'm not sure how well sorted or annotated any of it is.

ftp://os9archive.rtsi.com/ has been around for a while, but most of the fun stuff is under the "incoming" subdirs, and that definitely isn't well categorised.

I've ripped most of my CoCo tapes and transcribed instructions here: http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/da/coco_originals/ (individual instructions files here: http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/da/coco_instructions/), but that's a small selection.
retrofreak

Post by retrofreak »

Thanks again, Sixxie!