New user waving hello/ Co-Co compatability question

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
drmarkb

New user waving hello/ Co-Co compatability question

Post by drmarkb »

Hi. New user waving hello.......

I have a quick question- is there a list of compatable Co-Co software compiled anywhere?
Many, many moons ago I had access to a list of Tandy Microdeal titles that worked on both the Co-Co and the D32/64- this was before they started releasing software that officially worked on both and was labelled as such. I sadly lost the list.... :|
I know that the Tandy release of Draconian works on a real dragon as I have it on cassette and it works fine on my D64.

I recently tried two TRS-80 Co-Co cartridges- Galactic attack and Project Nebula - on a real D64, and they worked fine- there is a slight issue in Project Nebula, but nothing that impairs functionality of the games.
Wondering if anyone has any more info regarding titles they know work.
pser1

Re: New user waving hello/ Co-Co compatability question

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
I don't know if there exists a complete list of programs for both machines.
I know of some that are tapes that were labelled as for both machines. maybe one side for each one ... not sure about that point.
As I am unable to copy the list here and keep the data in columns, I decided to attach a zip file containing a Word file that has the list of some 22 tapes I know of, sorry!
best regards
pere
Attachments
Tapes List for both CoCo-Dragon.zip
List of tapes made for both CoCo and Dragon
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
drmarkb

Post by drmarkb »

I can add that Crazy Foota 3, Lucifer's kingdom and Super Nova all by Orange software are labelled as being co-co 32 k compatable.

What I was struck by was how 3 of the 4 Co-Co games I recently obtained all played. Thats a high hit rate off a small sample, and two of them were never converted officially to the Dragon. I expect there are a few releases that play equally well on both machines. I am pretty sure Microdeal knew some of their games worked on both without formal conversion, but of course labelling them as such would have been awkward for them, certainly in the earlier days. If I find any more I will post; although prices of second hand tandy games are pretty high in the US, in the UK they can go quite cheaply.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

hello,
just some comments about the three games you have mentioned:
Crazy Foota 3, is NOT in the archive, there is a Crazy Foota 2 game from Computape instead
Lucifer's kingdom, is in the archive but doesn't work with the XRoar CoCo2 emulation
Super Nova is in the archive but renamed as "Supa Nova" and it doesn't work with the XRoar CoCo2 emulation

Maybe the copies that were uploaded to the archive are not the same you are talking about.
They could be UK versions, only for the Dragon and maybe the ones you say were made in USA and so, could be for both machines (?)

regards
pere
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I did a hacky port of Lucifer's Kingdom to the CoCo for briza a while back, maybe knowledge of that is what's filtered through?

http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/da/coco_ports/
drmarkb

Post by drmarkb »

In all three cases I mentioned I am referring to the cassettes, rather than ones in the archive (to be honest I am not even sure where the archive's index of software is). It is the cassette and packaging that claims it works on the co-co. I have not run them through X-Roar or on a co-co myself.

All three are Orange Software releases, based just down the road from me in Wales.
Lucifer's Kingdom is an orange inlay, with a white sticker saying "TANDY COCO 32K COMPATABLE " (SIC) on the front.
It is also printed on the cassette where it says DRAGON/TANDY.

Crazy Foota 3 does not have the white sticker, but states on the side of the cassette "DRAGON 32/64 TANDY TRS 80 32K". The inlay says the same thing.

Super Nova does the same thing.

I must admit I had never heard of crazy foota 1/2 at the time, and wondered what happened to them (in a Stone Raider One way).
If someone wants me to upload pictures of the inlays and packaging or send a copy of the game on cassette to them so they can archive it I would be happy to do so.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
good to know you have the original tapes of these versions.
In order to preserve them, they should be converted to audio files
Just connect the tape recorder output to the micro input of your PC and then play and record both sides in the PC with any program you have.
There is one called Audacity that is highly recommended.
Once you have the WAV files, you could compress them and send a message to the Uploads section including them as attached files.
thanks a lot
best regards
pere
drmarkb

Post by drmarkb »

I have used Audacity before-many moons ago- transferring vinyl from one of those record players with usb output- but have never done it with a tape recorder. I will have to dig about for the correct leads and get round to it at some point- back to work tomorrow so it will have to wait for the time being.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

drmarkb wrote: All three are Orange Software releases, based just down the road from me in Wales.
Lucifer's Kingdom is an orange inlay, with a white sticker saying "TANDY COCO 32K COMPATABLE " (SIC) on the front.
It is also printed on the cassette where it says DRAGON/TANDY.
Interesting! My own copy seems to have gone the way of so many of my tapes - lost between various moves (or more plausibly, binned from my parents' loft in one of the purges). The hacking mentioned above must have been on the archive's copy - and that one couldn't have worked before, because the ROM calls I replaced don't exist in the CoCo.

There must have been a later version, so I hope you do get time to rip these!
drmarkb

Post by drmarkb »

Ok I have recorded the Lucifer's Kingdom version I have, and taken images of the packaging with the co-co labeling.
I recorded as as WAV, and as I was worried about the background noise I tested the WAV by burning to CD and making a cassette copy of that. I did it and that worked on a real d64 :D .
It does not want to upload the compressed file as an attachment however- I am assuming as a member I have the appropriate permissions. I will try again tommorrow......